Zr2USA.com
Sign in to follow this  
SLSZR2

Hand tools...

Whats in your toolbox..?   Do you favor a certain brand...or like me..have a mish mosh of all kinds of stuff (mostly Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky )..I have been upgrading a little at a time to Carlyle, and Gearwrench..  I have friends that spin wrenches for a living and owe half their check each week to the Snap On guy...and they admit that aside from some of the specialty tools,  anything above Gearwrench is a "vanity" purchase...the math just dosnt work for the tool truck brands..with the offshore stuff as good as it is now....Is country of origin important to you..(Made in USA...? )  Or do you just buy what gets the job done...  What do you think about Stanley buying Craftsman...?   They say they are going to honor the warranty...??   

I am mixed Snap-on, Mac, Craftsman (the old stuff >30yrs, before the china crap), a few cobalt items, Dewalt and Snap-on cordless tools, even a few harbor freight items that have lasted me >30yrs of hard use.

I am not a fan of most Chinese stuff as a rule, but its getting hard to stay away from it.

A good friend of mine works for sears managing the tool and appliance department in a store here in Spokane. He has told me they are honoring warranties so far. No word yet on any changes that he has heard.

I have mainly Craftsman tools bought in the late 60's and early 70's before it became chinese junk.  Other than those there are some Stanley, ViceGrips, Snap-On and Ingersol air tools in my roller chests.  Lifetime warranty is very important to me on hand tools since I keep them so long and use them regularly.  I think Stanley has better tools than Craftsman lately.  Snap-On tools are expensive but the quality is certainly top notch especially if you are making your living with them.  Cheap tools are like a dull knife,  somebody is going to get hurt if you actually use them.

90% of my stuff is Craftsman, power tools are all Milwaukee Fuel. Trying to figure out which direction to go, with Craftsman essentially being dead.

Kobalt tools seem to be of good quality, but I think most are Chinese origin. We use proto at work. They are proven quality with mixed origins.

I forget the last brand of sockets I bought... Tekton or something along those lines. Made in Michigan, seem to be alright. Nothing to get excited about, but it was a decent impact set.

Tekton are good tools. They make a lot of electronics related tools. Used them while on active duty. Think I might still have a few precision side cutters in my mess of electrical tools.

So what does everyone use for tool storage? I've actually got a harbor freight Rollaway and top box with an un-branded side box, and an old homak box on top of that. I've been really happy with the harbor freight boxes, better quality than craftsman imo.

I've got a Harbor Freight 54" lower box and an old Craftsman 24" top box.  That way I have room for my mini frig on top of the lower box too. :cheers:

I think the Harbor Freight roller cabinets are virtually the same as the Snap-On only tons cheaper.  They hold tons (literally) of tool weight and have held up well for the last few years at CAT where my son is a diesel mechanic on heavy equipment and mine trucks.  I highly recommend the HF box and buy it with coupons too.

I did a bunch of research before I bought my first big bunch of tools last year and everywhere I found said that the harbor freight Pittsburgh pro line was the same or better than craftsman and at the same or cheaper price point and also has a lifetime warranty. So I ended up with the 300 piece kit from harbor freight, the harbor freight 42" roller cabinet, full set of their short and deep well impact sockets and some other odds and ends. Have been really happy with everything so far after about a year. Haven't broken any tools and have less than $1k in a full spread of sockets and ratchets, various other tools, and bought a 36 piece set of wrenchs from craftsman when they were on sale as every review I read said they still had a lot better wrenches. 

Also got one of those pass through style socket sets from craftsman 5 or 6 years ago I have used and abused the crap out of and would another again if I had to. Comes in a suit case style case so easy to pack in a vehicle and have changed multiple flat tires with it. 

For power tools I just bought the 8 piece porter cable kit from a place online refurbished for $275. Was by far and away the best deal I found and all of the tools are pretty well the same quality of the DeWalt tools I was using when I worked for a contractor on the side last year. I ended up buying the 1/2 inch impact gun a month ago and it is a beast. It's the best bang for the buck I've spent so far at $100 and it is more powerful than several of the air impacts I've used though I've only used it on lug nuts so far but it breaks them lose as soon as you pull the trigger (on a 3/4 ton duramax). Would recommend everything I've bought so far to anyone who isn't using their tools to make money except for harbor freights grease gun. It's fickle and only works when it wants to even after taking it back and exchanging it and bleeding the air multiple times.

34 minutes ago, Blue BlaZeR2 93 said:

I did a bunch of research before I bought my first big bunch of tools last year and everywhere I found said that the harbor freight Pittsburgh pro line was the same or better than craftsman and at the same or cheaper price point and also has a lifetime warranty.

I have sockets I bought from harbor freight back in 1988 when they were still a mail order only company. Still use them at my work in a heavy industry setting. Have been great tools. I've broke a few over the years, but not many.

12 hours ago, jderekt said:

So what does everyone use for tool storage? I've actually got a harbor freight Rollaway and top box with an un-branded side box, and an old homak box on top of that. I've been really happy with the harbor freight boxes, better quality than craftsman imo.

Iv'e got an area set up in the back of the shop....kind of a mix match.  But its set up how i like it.....

20170617_221857.jpg

20170620_230325.jpg

20170620_230342.jpg