Zr2USA.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jake Martin

Offroad bumper with KC lights

I was looking into getting a bumper for my Zr2 but couldn't find any I liked so I decided to make my own. Its made out of sheet metal cut out from a CNC plasma cutter and then welded together by yours truly. I coated it in bed liner and also mounted KC lights on the front of it for looks as well as functionality. Its been a project I've been working on for about about a month now, I worked on it in small chucks. Overall I'm happy with the final product the only thing I need to fix is the gap under the headlights. Not sure exactly how I will fix this but i have a few ideas. Let me know what you guys think, the good the bad I'm open to feedback on things to do differently next time. If you are interested in building one just like it let me know i still have the CADD files saved onto a flash drive.

post-23348-0-16666600-1494361500_thumb.jpg

post-23348-0-82877400-1494361555_thumb.jpg

post-23348-0-41545200-1494361535_thumb.jpg

Looks good. Are you going to make it to accept a winch?

Looks good. Are you going to make it to accept a winch?

Thank you i wasn't planning on it for now but that is definitely something i will be doing in the future

Nice job. Suggestions, for a headlight gap filler how about a garage door weatherstrip, its flexible (so one strip should wrap all the way across and around to the wheel well), strong, weather proof, and black, it may not be paintable tho.

To match up the flairs (replace the flairets) how about a block of rubber carved and sanded to match or a molded piece of fiberglass (like guys make custom speaker cabs from). Finally may I suggest a couple of small square or rectanguler LED fog/running lighs embeded into the bumper in cut outs. You've got a lot of options since you already have the hard part done, good luck.

Nice job. Suggestions, for a headlight gap filler how about a garage door weatherstrip, its flexible (so one strip should wrap all the way across and around to the wheel well), strong, weather proof, and black, it may not be paintable tho.

To match up the flairs (replace the flairets) how about a block of rubber carved and sanded to match or a molded piece of fiberglass (like guys make custom speaker cabs from). Finally may I suggest a couple of small square or rectanguler LED fog/running lighs embeded into the bumper in cut outs. You've got a lot of options since you already have the hard part done, good luck.

Thank you I like the weatherstrip idea and i will definitely be trying to add more lights to it at some point

Looks good. I would add a 2" receiver or some d-rings though. Wish I had the skills to make my own bumper!

Looks good. I would add a 2" receiver or some d-rings though. Wish I had the skills to make my own bumper!

Thanks man I definitely want to put some d-rings or some of way to hook to the front in case of emergency lol because i had to remove the factory hooks for the bumper to mount

Ya, D rings and lights would help break it up a bit. I like the receiver idea as well. Looks good overall though, lots of room to stand to work on the engine. :lol:

Edited by rustyg