Zr2USA.com
jwwaldschmidt

JW's PMSMax

After a very uncomfortable tow back from Michigan in August with my new truck in tow behind the Avalanche, I realized I needed a bigger truck. I have an '05 Duramax from my Dad, but it's a regular cab with NO creature comforts what-so-ever, and is a pain to drive any kind of distance, which I need.

I put the deposit on my new rig today, I'll be flying out to Indianapolis later this month to pick it up from the Dealer. It's an '06 Silverado 2500HD LBZ CC SWB, fully loaded LT3. 34k miles on the clock, comes with the GM Certified 1-year bumper-to-bumper warranty and 3 years of free maintenance at any GM dealer across the country (oil changes, rotate & balance, etc). Graphite Blue Metallic in color, which I absolutely love.

I'll throw a tune and a kitty delete exhaust setup on it, and keep it mostly stock. I want to add the cab-mounted running lights down the road, but that's not a real big priority.

Pictars!

3474107015.jpg

3474107187.jpg

3474107383.jpg

3474107475.jpg

3474107999.jpg

I've loved the LBZ's since they first came out 5 years ago, and dreamed of owning one ever since. Can't wait to get this bad boy home.

Edited by jwwaldschmidt

It needs 285s

At least 265's, yes. I'll wait until I wear the tires out that are on it.

No, 285s.

It needs 285s

No, 285s.

We'll see. I do like the stance of Steve's on 285's.

And a duramax doesn't even know they are there.

It needs 285s

No, 285s.

It'll probably happen. I'm not dropping dough on tires until I have bald ones on the truck, though.

It needs 285s

No, 285s.

It'll probably happen. I'm not dropping dough on tires until I have bald ones on the truck, though.

I don't blame you, the ones on my dads future truck (which is getting pushed back a week or two) won't get changed until they are wore out. Or depending on what wheels it comes with maybe sooner.

congrats on the new rig!!! you'll love it!

and if ya wanna stop by with it, I'll show ya how to wear the tires out a little faster :D

make sure you absolutely get a pyrometer. might wanna think exhaust as wel instead of just the cat delete.

happy for ya. :dio:

hardly know they are there? :jester: hell mine hardly knows that it has 15K behind it sometimes. it's fun to break the tires loose with that kind of weight behind ya. people tend to look :SBG:

Edited by 1TFROT

congrats on the new rig!!! you'll love it!

and if ya wanna stop by with it, I'll show ya how to wear the tires out a little faster :D

make sure you absolutely get a pyrometer. might wanna think exhaust as wel instead of just the cat delete.

happy for ya. :dio:

hardly know they are there? :jester: hell mine hardly knows that it has 15K behind it sometimes. it's fun to break the tires loose with that kind of weight behind ya. people tend to look :SBG:

By "cat delete" I meant an entire exhaust setup.

You're in Joliet, right? I actually was debating on heading up that way on the trip back. I'd be interested in hearing your exhaust setup too, just to get an idea for what I want.

I bust the tires loose on a regular basis with my LLY, no tune, when I've got the Carhauler on the back. It's almost easier with a load than without, imo.

yep, joliet. let me know if you want to, you're more than welcome. just gotta sync up time frames (sundays usually work best)

I'm sure it's much easier with something holding you back, but the look on peoples faces is priceless when they realize you are moving as fast as they are, but pulling the equivalent of a small bus behind you.

yep, joliet. let me know if you want to, you're more than welcome. just gotta sync up time frames (sundays usually work best)

I'm sure it's much easier with something holding you back, but the look on peoples faces is priceless when they realize you are moving as fast as they are, but pulling the equivalent of a small bus behind you.

It'd likely be a Tuesday-Thursday. I'll let you know when I get a flight booked.

Congrats man. Looks great. Welcome to the club.

Stay away from 285s unless you go to a wider wheel. Stock wheels are only 6.5" wide! Lots of guys have had trouble with wheel damage and tire wear trying to run that setup.

You've got an endless list of opportunity ahead of you now. IMO, these are the "must have" mods

1. Different shocks. The stock shocks are GARBAGE! Make your truck glide down the road load in comfort rather than jar your teeth out on every bump. I run the Rancho 9000XL. The other popular shock is the Bilstein 5100s, or better yet the custom-valved version from NorCal Truck. Some people are happy with these, some people are not, which is why I went with the adjustable Ranchos over the Bilsteins.

2. GM updated rear cab mounts, significantly helps with the expansion joint hits, there's a whole thread on it on DP

3. EGR delete plate (Merchant)

4. Tie rod sleeves (Merchant)

5. EFI live ECM, DSP2 (ATP)

6. Gauges, either traditional or something like the Edge Insight CTS (what I have) or Dashdaq (DW)

7. HIR bulbs (anywhere online)

When you ride in mine, you'll see how it all feels / works and what you can look forward to. :D

Edited by cknaffle

Congrats man. Looks great.

Stay away from 285s unless you go to a wider wheel. Stock wheels are only 6.5" wide! Lots of guys have had trouble trying to run that setup.

Thanks Chris.

I didn't know the stock wheels were that thin... 265's it'll be then. Hopefully that'll be at least a year down the road, the tread on the tires looks to be ok.

Stay away from 285s unless you go to a wider wheel. Stock wheels are only 6.5" wide! Lots of guys have had trouble with wheel damage and tire wear trying to run that setup.

I've heard the same thing and I think it's bullshit, EVERYONE around here runs 285s on those exact same wheels.

285s are a 1/4" narrower than my STSs and my wheels are only a 1/2" wider, I have NO problems. Not to mention everyone on this site alone running a 12.5 tire on stock 7" wide wheels.

I've heard the same thing and I think it's bullshit, EVERYONE around here runs 285s on those exact same wheels.

285s are a 1/4" narrower than my STSs and my wheels are only a 1/2" wider, I have NO problems. Not to mention everyone on this site alone running a 12.5 tire on stock 7" wide wheels.

I wouldn't run 285s because of the mileage decrease alone. Most guys report losing 1.5-2 MPG when going from 265 to 285. I like my 20+ MPG.

Although I do see a lot of people running 285s on PYO wheels, there have also been plenty of documented cases of problems with that setup too. The sidewalls are way too bulged out and the tires will wear way too fast in the center of the tread. There are also plenty of pictures of rim problems and sidewall blowouts. Just because "EVERYONE" is doing it does not mean its right or safe. Or I suppose maybe these guys running that setup know more than the people that are making the tires about what is safe and what is not?

All tire manufacturers give recommended rim width for all their tires. You won't find any of them at endorse a 6.5" wide wheel for a 285/75/16. In fact, most of them won't endorse a 6.5" wide wheel for a 265/75/16. Here's 3 examples (attached).

I've also read about several people being denied mounting of a 285/75/16 on a PYO at reputable tire shops because they are too far out of the recommended range . Maybe Steve can give some insight on that situation.

As far as a 12.5" tire on a 7" wheel on a ZR2, how many people on this site have a 8000# truck pulling a 15,000# trailer with load range E tires running at maximum inflation pressure at maximum load with that setup? Yup, your comment is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

BFG_AT.JPG

GY.JPG

Michelin.JPG

I wouldn't run 285s because of the mileage decrease alone. Most guys report losing 1.5-2 MPG when going from 265 to 285. I like my 20+ MPG.

Although I do see a lot of people running 285s on PYO wheels, there have also been plenty of documented cases of problems with that setup too. The sidewalls are way too bulged out and the tires will wear way too fast in the center of the tread. There are also plenty of pictures of rim problems and sidewall blowouts. Just because "EVERYONE" is doing it does not mean its right or safe. Or I suppose maybe these guys running that setup know more than the people that are making the tires about what is safe and what is not?

All tire manufacturers give recommended rim width for all their tires. You won't find any of them at endorse a 6.5" wide wheel for a 285/75/16. In fact, most of them won't endorse a 6.5" wide wheel for a 265/75/16. Here's 3 examples (attached).

I've also read about several people being denied mounting of a 285/75/16 on a PYO at reputable tire shops because they are too far out of the recommended range . Maybe Steve can give some insight on that situation.

As far as a 12.5" tire on a 7" wheel on a ZR2, how many people on this site have a 8000# truck pulling a 15,000# trailer with load range E tires running at maximum inflation pressure at maximum load with that setup? Yup, your comment is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

post-299-1316286096_thumb.jpg

post-299-1316286276_thumb.jpg

post-299-1316286285_thumb.jpg

Some people would rather have a 1-2 mpg decrease and have their truck look like a truck. And with JW's driving I don't see this truck getting super high mileage anyway. :nutkick:

I've seen ONE person with a wore wheel on one of the forums way back, granted I've haven't cared to look for every single case, but I've seen WAY more trucks with that setup with no problems than ones that have had problems. Most of guys I know are on their third or fourth set, and since I'm the one that would going out to get them I would probably be one of the first to know if they had a problem. Majority of trucks with these wheels are running 285s in the area, diesel AND gas. And I don't really give a shit about the "manufacturer" says as they only covering their ass, they are not going to advertise the real limits. Interco doesn't recommend my tires on a 7" wheel, so that should tell you something on their limits.

As far as wear it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, you can hardly tell the difference even when the tire is completely wore out. So it's not like they are getting an absurd amount of more miles having a little bit wider wheel. And empty you should have the tire at max psi anyway, unnecessary and makes the truck ride like shit.

And obviously a zr2 isn't going to be hauling that amount of weight, the point was is there is an even BIGGER difference in wheel to tire width with them. And if wide tire shit was true you would think at least one jackass with over weight (for an s-series), over inflated shit would have blown at least one tire. But I can't remember even ONE case of it.

Some people believe what they read, some believe what they see. And have seen far more people run the 285 on those wheels no problem than I have seen otherwise.

John is all show and no go anyway. He's like Wes and has a truck just to look tough. :lol:

congrats on the new rig JW, I am jealous!!

when the hell are you going to run out of money? you seriously cant make that much working at crapplebees. aint you in school?

Chris;

You said 20+mpg; do you mean 20 to 22?

I was considering one of these behemoths, but I'm not sure the price differential is worth the mileage differential for me.

I get 14mpg not towing and 8.3ish towing with the 8.1.

Differential in diesel price and selling/buying another rig is not seeming to be a fit for me.

I only drive the thing 4000 miles a year.

If I'm missing something tell me, but I think I might pass on this in my instance. I was following along on the 'I want a diesel threads....

John is all show and no go anyway. He's like Wes and has a truck just to look tough. :lol:

awww shit.............

:jester:

untitled25ut.jpg

congrats on the new rig JW, I am jealous!!

when the hell are you going to run out of money? you seriously cant make that much working at crapplebees. aint you in school?

Thanks. I've always wanted one, never thought I could justify it. It'll fit my new setup much better.

Believe it or not, I'll actually have more money in my pocket when I'm done swapping vehicles, or very close to breaking even. Avy and the LLY I currently have are getting sold. My finances are in great shape, but thanks for the concern.

Crapplebee's is very much a temporary thing. I may be working on a position at a local Chemical Transport facility to get me through school.

I took a semester off of school, I'm starting in the spring. Engineering Technology as a 4-year destination, at this point.

Chris;

You said 20+mpg; do you mean 20 to 22?

I was considering one of these behemoths, but I'm not sure the price differential is worth the mileage differential for me.

I get 14mpg not towing and 8.3ish towing with the 8.1.

Differential in diesel price and selling/buying another rig is not seeming to be a fit for me.

I only drive the thing 4000 miles a year.

If I'm missing something tell me, but I think I might pass on this in my instance. I was following along on the 'I want a diesel threads....

I've seen a couple of his pics on Facebook, he pulls upwards of 21 apparently. I'm curious to see how mine will do.

for 4000 miles a year, I would absolutely keep your current setup. If you're happy with the way it tows, then you're all set. My Avy just couldn't handle the weight, and I want the extra power and capability of the Duramax. If you've ever towed with one, you'd understand - it's absolutely amazing the amount of power these trucks have, and I've never even been in a tuned Diesel. I can only imagine a truck like Chris's or Steve's, or like mine will be shortly. :D.

They hold their value, they get better mileage, and they're more powerful. What's not to love?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.