Zr2USA.com
Dubs

Bravada shaft install (How to)

This may help out some of you that don't know the steps to take to install the bravada shaft and tube. I compiled a bunch of info from this site and from others and saved these steps and info below. Hope this helps.

I took this step by step from another thread from this site. it helped me alot

Stepbystep.jpg

Also from the same thread I downloaded this image of what the diff should look like after the stock 4wd stuff was removed, and what it should look like before you install the bravada assembly.

Diff.jpg

This image is a schematic of a stock 97+ S10/Sonoma front differential.

S10_SonomaIllust.jpg

This image is a schematic of a stock 97+ Bravada front differential.

BravadaIllust.jpg

When I got into it I didn't end up removing the shock or hub assembly, but in case you do here are the torque specs.

Torquespecs.jpg

Hope this helps. And I thank all that originally posted the info that got my truck running again.

Well done. I kept promising to put one of these together, never followed up on it.

Mods, can we get a sticky? We can make this our master Bravada Shaft thread, and keep the 13 a month that show up from happening.

Well done. I kept promising to put one of these together, never followed up on it.

Mods, can we get a sticky? We can make this our master Bravada Shaft thread, and keep the 13 a month that show up from happening.

Money says it'll still happen ;)

Where can I find one of these bravada axle one piece to buy and how much are they? Thanks.

The 2 piece assembly is a complete piece of shit:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Dark...nt=P6070125.mp4

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Dark...0Piece%20Shaft/

Once you have an awd shaft the stub shaft/flange(depending on year) is probably the next week link:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Dark...0Stub%20Flange/

(Flanged converted) I imagine a none flanged stub would have snapped also. Same spot as above video btw:

And then A tie rod end in reverse: http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Dark...nt=P1040639.jpg

Happy to answer questions, just pm.

Where can I find one of these bravada axle one piece to buy and how much are they? Thanks.

Your looking for a 97+ astro/bravada/safari that is AWD. Unless you want to go though all of this: http://forums.txzr2.com/viewtopic.php?f=23...c8d57de261581ba (Lots of work, well worth it though I loved that mod. Made chaning out the CVs or the front diff a snap)

Junkyards usually want anywhere from 30-150 bucks for an AWD shaft/tube from what Ive seen. Can't remember what Miles, Crusty and I paid.

Edited by Kristian

Your looking for a 97+ astro/bravada/safari that is AWD. Unless you want to go though all of this: http://forums.txzr2.com/viewtopic.php?f=23...c8d57de261581ba (Lots of work, well worth it though I loved that mod. Made chaning out the CVs or the front diff a snap)

Junkyards usually want anywhere from 30-150 bucks for an AWD shaft/tube from what Ive seen. Can't remember what Miles, Crusty and I paid.

i paid like 75 bux it's not a lot. the upgrade is priceless imo

I see this thread is still not stickied. Finally found it through searching though.

Thanks for the info compilation, Dubs & thank you Kristian for the bonus info. I'm adding inner and outer tie rods to my shopping list right now.

I am looking into rebuilding/replacing my front differential. I have an '03 with the Aluminum housing. I have been reading a lot about what kind of options I have. One thing I can't find a definite answer on is, .......can I put an Iron unit with the Bravada Shaft in as a direct swap, and still have functionality with the 3-button switch? ...... I know that the front drive shaft will continuously spin with the shaft swapped. I do NOT want to remove the vacuum actuator. Or, am I just going to have to find another aluminum housing? Thanks for the help and if someone could point me in the direction of one to buy that would be sweet!!!

You can install the iron diff with the bravada shaft, just know the bravada shaft WILL eliminate the vacuum actuator from the system. That is why we do the shaft install. Gets rid of that problematic and weak link in the system. That said. your electric shift transfer case will still work normally. The switch on the front diff just gets permanently jumpered together so the TCM will see the front axle is "engaged" to eliminate any issues/faults.

If you do not want to eliminate the vacuum disconnect system, then you cannot run the bravada shaft.

The iron Diff will fit with either configuration.

Is there an Iron diff that includes the split shaft? In other words, is there a full Iron diff that is a direct swap for the aluminum ones, keeping the vacuum and 3-button switch? I am thinking I would have to buy the Iron housing and swap the internals...

I went up a straight 5' embankment, throttle punched, and realized something was wrong when I got stuck. Had a pretty knarly metal on metal sound when driving but the housing looked fine. TC engages but no drive to front wheels.

Is there an Iron diff that includes the split shaft? In other words, is there a full Iron diff that is a direct swap for the aluminum ones, keeping the vacuum and 3-button switch? I am thinking I would have to buy the Iron housing and swap the internals...

I went up a straight 5' embankment, throttle punched, and realized something was wrong when I got stuck. Had a pretty knarly metal on metal sound when driving but the housing looked fine. TC engages but no drive to front wheels.

The only vehicles that did not have the disconnect is the awd bravada and the awd astro van. If you find an iron diff in any S10 it will be a direct fit, including the disconnect, as long as it matches your cv axle type (Flanged or slip-in)

Have you verified your vacuum system is good and not leaking?

I have not, but from what I was hearing I definitely blew something apart. I just drove it for a few miles until I disintegrated whatever was making the noise. I really would just like to buy an aluminum one for now because I want 4wd for deer camp, not thinking I will have enough time to rebuild the way I want in the next couple weeks, but it will happen eventually. I will tear it apart and post up some pictures here soon. Thanks for the quick responses.

I have not, but from what I was hearing I definitely blew something apart. I just drove it for a few miles until I disintegrated whatever was making the noise. I really would just like to buy an aluminum one for now because I want 4wd for deer camp, not thinking I will have enough time to rebuild the way I want in the next couple weeks, but it will happen eventually. I will tear it apart and post up some pictures here soon. Thanks for the quick responses.  

Yea, I hear ya, just make sure you get the correct gear ratio. 3.73. RPO code GT4

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Well, I concluded that my issues had nothing to do with the Differential. I blew apart the Front Driveshaft rear CV Joint. I figured this out after I had already torn apart my purchased diff., cleaned it, and replaced the seals. So I ended up replacing my "good" one anyways. Never hurts to have one on hand I guess. Anywho, I have parts coming in today and should be back up and running tonight! Hopefully...