Zr2USA.com
Keviness®

Kevin's Blazer Evolution Thread

Well, I have some free time and have been meaning to do this for months. So here it goes.

Picked it up back in October 2006 with 62,xxx on it.

100_0436.jpg

That weekend I put my Alpine deck, Alpine powered MTX subs and my Ventshades on it.

100_0812.jpg

100_1018.jpg

102_2392.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

I put some Silverstars in there, but don't have any pictures.

Then in the beginning of January 2007 I bought some turn signal blackouts and a billet grille from a member here (Sonders, although he is no longer active). At the same time I installed these, I blacked out my emblem with electrical tape :lol: (It was just temporary) Oh yea - I also put LED's in the corner markers so that it looked all clear.

100_1727.jpg

It pretty much stayed like that for a while. I just drove it, detailed it (a lot) and took a lot of pictures of it. It also made a few trips to Silver Lake ;)

In March it finally warmed up enough for me to get that electrical tape off the emblem and actually paint it black. It made it look so much better!

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

In April I decided to paint the little bowties that are in the center caps. This was one step closer to eliminating all the gold and amber that was on the truck.

IMG_0302.jpg

After I painted the center caps, I decided that I didn't want any emblems on the truck. I took off the one on the back gate, the doors and even the "LS" badge on the door. I thought it would make it look cleaner, and it did.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0376-1.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Thanks to the Michigan winters that my Blazer saw before I got it, my hitch was getting pretty rusty and nasty looking, so I painted that with some bedliner. It made it look much better IMO.

IMG_0349.jpg

Later in June I picked up some new subs, a box and amp. It was my cousins old setup that he was getting rid of, so i bought it from him. I got 3 10" JL Audio W0's in a JL Powerwedge box with a Sony amp for a pretty sweet price ;). Its not the newest, or top of the line stuff, but it sounds awesome. It sounds a lot better than some of my friends systems, and they have higher model MTX, Pioneer, etc. stuff. And I like 10's - the tighter, punchier bass is good for my country and rock. But they hit pretty damn good for rap too ;).

IMG_1450.jpg

At about the same time I switched subs, I installed some " nfinity References on the top of my dash. I picked them up really cheap at Best Buy one weekend.

IMG_1265.jpg

The next mod is one of my favorites, because it makes my Blazer pretty unique IMO. In the beginning of July I installed some 55w Fog Lightsin my valance. I haven't seen any other Z's with lights right there.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

Anyways, theres more pics in the thread.

Edited by Kevin S

In keeping with the Black, Chrome and Red theme, I decided to black out my tail lights. I used some RC Car Spray on Tint, followed by a bunch of clear coat. Here is my thread about it.Unfortunately when I went to the Badlands this March (2008) I scratched one and the tint started peeling, so I have to re-do both of them.

IMG_1717.jpg

Again, thanks to the Michigan winter BS, my tire carrier was looking a bit faded and rough, so I took some time and took it off and cleaned it up. I used the duplicolor spray on bedliner and then covered it with clear. Also, because there was a spot where the paint had chipped off and looked like crap, so I actually extended the bedliner to the actual body. I figured it would be hard to notice because it was the same line as the carrier mounting brackets, just extended towards the front a bit. Plus, it was cheaper than having a shop do it.

Here is the chip I was talking about -

102_2369.jpg

And here is the final result.

IMG_1649-1.jpg

IMG_1654-1.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

My next little project I did was once my Blazer was in storage for the winter. I bought a set of factory fog lights from a member here (Bart - Lax22) and worked on putting them in. I had to order the connector for the light bulb, and then it was simple from there. Just wired them it to a separate switch. I though about going and having it tied to the BCM, but I like to control my lights so I can turn on (or off) what I want when I want it. And you cant even tell they are there behind the blackouts! Here is the thread about it. (lots of pics in here)

IMG_2127.jpg

At some point between the tire carrier and the Factory fogs, I modded some Silver Star high beam bulbs to fit in the low beam spot.

IMG_2156.jpg

In mid January 2008 I finally got around to ordering some Shackles from Chris and some March Power Pullies from Synergy Offroad. I ordered the 2.375" Shackles and did a TB Crank of ~7/8". I think it made a world of difference. The shackles went it damn easy too. I had zero problems getting the old shackles and bolts out. And I didnt use any PB Blaster either.

Hmmm seems the only pictures I can find are from my cell. Sorry for the bad quality.

Jan18_0001.jpg

Jan18_0002.jpg

Edited by Kevin S

Damn you Tim. You replied before I could finish. :lol: Just kidding. I don't care.

Well the next mod came in the beginning of February, but it wasn't quite planned. I was home from college on winter break, and one day I told my dad to leave his car (97 Monte Carlo that he owned from new) and take the 95 Jimmy to work, that way I could change his oil for him. Well, some idiot in a 2500HD rear ended me and ended up totaling the car. Here is the thread on the accident if you care. I guess it worked out alright though as my dad bought a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline. Here is the thread with a few pics of the Sky if you are interested.Before the accident, my mom was driving the 95 to and from work ( 2 miles down the road), my sister was driving my moms 2000 Jimmy until she found a car, and then I just didn't have a car when i was home because the Blazer was in storage. Well, now we were down to 2 cars for 4 people that really needed one daily, so as much as I didn't want to, I pulled the Z out of storage. I had been planning on buying some new Mud Terrain's this spring, however now that it was out, I decided to just get them earlier since my mom was driving it and the Longtrails were shitty as hell. I ended up getting 5 31x1.50R15 Interco Trxus M/T's. Talk about a nice tire. I absolutely love them. :D

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

Unfortunately, the last weekend I had it out before I put it in storage, I managed to bust my front drive shaft. I didnt get around to fixing it until late Feburary when I ordered the upgraded one from Synergy Offroad and Chris. For the record, its a damn nice piece. I put it to the test at Badlands 1 week after I got it. :D

Later in February I bought some 1.25" wheel spacers from Ataristyle. I wanted to widen the rear end a bit, especially with the new tires. I cant find teh pics right now though :(

For the next few months I didnt really do anything big. I did re-do my switches for the foglights. I did have lighted switches, but they drove me crazy and didnt look that clean either. So I put new ones in.

IMG_2538.jpg

Later in May I swissed my airbox. I decided that was a much better option than dropping a lot of $$ on an AEM or whatever. Saved some money for other mods :D

I picked up an Aluminum front skid plate in late June. I found a guy pretty local to me that was parting out a few S-platform vehicles, and just happened to have a front skid that fit mine! I spent a few hours with steel wool, rubbing compound and then some Mothers polish and it looks great. I forgot to mention that I cracked my stock composite one all up at the dunes one weekend, so this made sense to buy :lol:

IMG_2597.jpg

And then this Tuesday I re-did my whole exhaust. I ordered a 3" In/Out Magnaflow High Flow Cat from Synergy and then a local shop installed that along with a 3" In/Out FloPro V-Force Muffler. They used 3" the entire way. Now I just need to get one of the new Y-Pipes once they are for sale.

At the moment I dont have any pics or video of the setup, but should soon.

I think thats about it. I'm sure theres some small stuff here and there I forgot, but oh well. I want to add some more pics that I have taken of the Blazer, but I need to get going and get some shit done today. I'll add them later.

Let me know what you all think and if you have any suggestions/ideas let me know.

Feel free to ask any questions too.

Edited by Kevin S

The truck is lookin' REAL good. Just need a body lift and some 33's.

The truck is lookin' REAL good. Just need a body lift and some 33's.

x2 and wheres rock sliders???? :judaspriest:

like the last photo

I have always liked your blazer Kevin... and its mainly because of the simplest mods you did that make it look very nice

debadge

black out corners/red part of taillights

black bowtie

billet grill

red chevy bowties in wheels

and it all goes good with your grill being red... and your Pa3s

Looks good

and get some different light switches for inside... those 2 look gay :sticksmack:

looks good kevin.. i really like the metal front skid.. i've personally been looking for some for the past 2 years and haven't had any luck on getting them...

how do those tires work in the winter?? i'm goign to be needing tires here pretty soon myself

You need a body lift!

Why do you put your Z in storage every winter?

How can you afford to do that if its your daily driver all other seasons?

How many miles does your Z have now?

Dang man. Anymore ?s? Haha :P Kevin your ride is looking sexy man. Even without a bl or anything it's still sweet :judaspriest:

looks good man, I wish i could find an aluminum skid around here and do that but I have no luck. I like the fact that it still looks good on the road even though you do wheel it some.

Very Nice work Man.!!!!! your Rig has come a long ways from were it was.. Keep up the good work!!!!!

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

As for 33's and a BL and Sliders...well they will have to wait. I wanted to get some sliders this summer, but I have had some other expenses that take precident over truck parts. And I also just bought my Trxus a few months ago, so I will wait awhile until they are pretty worn and then do a BL and 33's. Unless you all want to chip and and buy that shit for me :D:lol:

I have always liked your blazer Kevin... and its mainly because of the simplest mods you did that make it look very nice

debadge

black out corners/red part of taillights

black bowtie

billet grill

red chevy bowties in wheels

and it all goes good with your grill being red... and your Pa3s

Looks good

and get some different light switches for inside... those 2 look gay :sticksmack:

Thanks Tony! I have spent quite a bit of time taking care of "the little stuff" because I feel that it makes it different, and a lot of the time most people don't notice it the first time they look at it, like the red centercaps.

Personally, I don't think the switches look gay. They look much better than a lighted rocker switch, or one with an LED in it. Thats what I had originally (LED in them) and I hated it. It didn't look that good, and the light annoyed the piss out of me at night. I felt these looked cleaner.

looks good kevin.. i really like the metal front skid.. i've personally been looking for some for the past 2 years and haven't had any luck on getting them...

how do those tires work in the winter?? i'm goign to be needing tires here pretty soon myself

These tires are amazing in the winter. They would do awesome for you, assuming you do similar driving to me. I know you will be happy with them in the winter thats for sure.

You need a body lift!

Why do you put your Z in storage every winter?

How can you afford to do that if its your daily driver all other seasons?

How many miles does your Z have now?

Well, the Z goes in storage because I can. You can see what road salt does to vehicles up here in MI. I also like to keep the miles off it, since I put a shit ton on during the summer and nice months. Especially this summer - its a 33 mile drive to my girlfriends house one way. And I go there a pretty good amount. I have a 95 2 door Jimmy that has rusted out rockers and quarterpanels and I dont want that to happen to the Z. Last year was the 2nd winter I owned it, and teh first that It was in storage. Its not huge deal since I go away to school anyways and it would just sit otherwise. I also store it that way all the bolts and shit don't rust. It makes it SO much easier to work on it. For example, my bolts came out for my shackles with no heat, no penetrating oil, and hardly any effort. I know a few other people in the midwest area that had problems getting it out due to the fact things were rusted and siezed up. It did get pulled out earlier than I wanted last year. If you want to read about it, I think its in one of the threads I linked earlier. Or maybe a post in here.

Hell, putting it in storage saves me money. I can take it off insurance and save a nice bit of cash. Although, it then gets spent on tuition, but whatever.

It currently has just shy of 86,000

looks good man, I wish i could find an aluminum skid around here and do that but I have no luck. I like the fact that it still looks good on the road even though you do wheel it some.

Yea, I try to wheel it as much as possible, but I just dont always have the time or money. Not to mention if shit breaks. Its kind of a pain being a broke college kid :lol:

I have some more pics I want to put up, but I have had absolutely no time lately. Between work, girlfriend, travel, fixing my pile of shit, and whatnot, I dont often have a free minute to get on here :(

Thank goodness that he didn't take a picture alongside mine...his Blazer makes mine look like a hoptie pile of shit.

but seriously...

Looks great Kevin...man that aluminum skidplate really completes everything. :thumbup:

Keep the mods coming!

these guys will tell you it needs a BL and 33's

don't let them steer you wrong... what it ACTUALLY needs is a 3in bl and a 6 in sl and 37's.

damn fine rig. :D

Looks super clean. Definetly seems like your really meticulous (sp?). Sweet ass sound system. That thing must rattle everything in your path with those subs. Looks great dude. :clap:

Thank goodness that he didn't take a picture alongside mine...his Blazer makes mine look like a hoptie pile of shit.

but seriously...

Looks great Kevin...man that aluminum skidplate really completes everything. :thumbup:

Keep the mods coming!

Haha thanks Steve. Yours will clean up really good, you just need to spend a a day detailing it :thumbup:

these guys will tell you it needs a BL and 33's

don't let them steer you wrong... what it ACTUALLY needs is a 3in bl and a 6 in sl and 37's.

damn fine rig. :D

Psssh. There are two things wrong with that.

1. I would never put a 3" BL. I think they look like ass. Shows way to much frame. To be honest, I dont even really like 2"BL. Although some knaffle sliders help cover the frame a bit

2. I am not going to waste a penny on an IFS lift. When it is the time to lift my Blazer, I will be going SFA.

Thanks for the compliment though :D

Looks super clean. Definetly seems like your really meticulous (sp?). Sweet ass sound system. That thing must rattle everything in your path with those subs. Looks great dude. :clap:

Haha yea, I am a bit meticulous, (hell maybe even anal) about cleaning it and doing the little things. The system isnt much. I really need to upgrade to component speakers all around, and I might buy 2 New 12" JL W6's and a New 1000/1 JL amp from a buddy. I haven't really decided yet. But your right, it does rattle the blazer a bit. I think I might do dynamat before the subs you know. I have set off car alarms before with them :lol: :lol: :D

You guys better stay tuned. I have a big idea cooking up in my head right now. I need to take a few measurements and whatnot. I'll tell you that you have not seen something like this in a Z before :D I just need to find a bit of time now....

Truck looks great Kevin. Clean and simple always looks good. How many coats of RC tint and clear did you use on the tail lights? They look awsome, i think thats a cheap option instead of buying blackouts. Did you remove them or do any kind of prep? I'm into the RC hobby so I have a few cans of that tint lieing around.

EDIT: Nevermine, saw the link to the thread about it :sticksmack:

Edited by ZL1power69

Ugh who wants my aluminum skid? I just remembered how much I hate polishing shit. :lol:

When I got it, I spent a few hours with steel wool and then a can of Mothers polish. It really cleaned it up. Since then, I have been wheeling a bit, and overall it has gotten a bit nasty again, so today I spent some time polishing it back up. I guess it wouldnt be a problem if I actually washed my Blazer a bit more often. I used to wash it 2-3 times a week, and wax it once a month, but lately I have had no time or energy. The last time I washed it was 3 weeks ago :( and it has only been waxed 2 times since May :( :( :(

In other news, I fixed my exhaust leak. Turns out it was a connector for a couple of EGR tubes. It got too hot and melted. I just replaced it with a metal one and some hose clamps from the hardware store!

I also took a video of my exhaust, but it was a bit too windy and the camera picked up a lot of wind. I'll have to re-try sometime soon.

You guys better stay tuned. I have a big idea cooking up in my head right now. I need to take a few measurements and whatnot. I'll tell you that you have not seen something like this in a Z before :D I just need to find a bit of time now....

spit it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!