Zr2USA.com
mscott03

How to tell a genuine Zr2

Is there a easy and honest way to tell if the blazer I have is a genuine ZR2? I'm hopeing it would be in the VIN but it doesnt seem to be that easy..

check under the front wheel well there is zr2 stamped there and i believe its in the vin somewhere.

by the looks of your pictures it is a zr2. zr2 flares, widestance.

Edited by ZR2onthego

OK, I checked the sticker and it does have ZR2 on it - It was confusing at first because theres like 50 3 character sets and it was one of the last ones in the list.. I'm just curious, because I started to wonder how hard it would've been for someone to fake it and sell it to me..

OK, I checked the sticker and it does have ZR2 on it - It was confusing at first because theres like 50 3 character sets and it was one of the last ones in the list.. I'm just curious, because I started to wonder how hard it would've been for someone to fake it and sell it to me..

Unless they put a fake RPO sticker in the glove box! jester.gif

It's pretty hard to fake a ZR2 ... even if they swap glovebox stickers or dashes. It's definitely a good idea to check the glove box for the ZR2 RPO but what really stands out is the stance. It's hard to fake that and make factory wheels stick out without spacers. That and the 8.5" rear axle would pretty much guarantee a ZR2.

The height and the flares are easier to "fake" so I wouldn't rely on just those.

You could always look at the frame rails, it has a lil plaque (I forget the numbers/letters but its not ZR2, its a code). SO unless they faked it from the frame up.

I believe ZR2's have a full box frame and reg s10's don't

And you can pull the rear diff cover and check for the locker.

I believe ZR2's have a full box frame and reg s10's don't

earlier ZR2's the G80 was optional wink.gif

Easiest way to tell a ZR2 frame is bu the front spring hanger for the leaf springs. Regular s-series the mount is in the curve of the frame, ZR2's have it mounted lower on a hanger. That's the only thing that is hard to duplicate easily.

Damn thats a sexy BlaZeR2. You can tell just from the pics, the front is wider by a bit and the stance man

That and the 8.5" rear axle would pretty much guarantee a ZR2.

Not true at all...

The ZR2 is the only automatic transmission s-series guaranteed to have the 8.5"

Again, no way a good way to identify it... The 7 5/8" diff also had the G80 option.

Any 5-speed S-Series has the 8.5" diff (and iron front diff...). The ZR2 has the wider axle.

Probably a few fleet vehicles came with the 8.5" as well, I know Jigg found a 4 door Blazer with the 8.5"

I know this is a late respone but, you can also look under the hood at the sticker behind the distributor on firewall.

Edited by ZR2tooo

Late, and redundant.

There should also be a tag on the firewall back by the distributor that says rpo zr2 somewhere.

fender flares that unbolt from the inside of the fender, zr2 stamped on inner fender shields up front, zr2 lettering in the white code sticker behind the distributor, the 8.5" rear axle, 31x10.50 tires, says zr2 on tranny, the rear spring perches, bigger sway bars... bla bla bla

on the adapter between the trans and transfercase its stamped zr2 on the pass side...you have to take off the skid plate to find it but its there.

stan

Also on the underside of the cab there's a ZR2 stamping, but you have to drop the tranny and transfer case, then shift the engine forward, or lift the cab off the chasis and shine a blacklight on the area that would be above the bellhouseing, but you must do this during a total lunar eclipse, so you only have a lil time left, better hurry. cool.gif

Any 5-speed S-Series has the 8.5" diff (and iron front diff...). The ZR2 has the wider axle.

My Blazer has an Aluminum Front Diff, so that is not true.

Both of my 96 Blazers had the 8.5" Rear, old one was an Auto, current one is a 5spd.

those are called RPO codes. regular production options. all manufacturers follow a similar standard.

You would think all you had to do was look at the VIN #. Maybe not. :Idunno:

time to whore some pics... :lol:

but this also completely miffs the heck out of me... wondering if this is the right sticker on the last pic... if so, it doesn't say zr2 on it...

1st pic, glovebox RPO stuff

2nd - pass. fenderwell

3rd - right sticker?

tia

-fuzzy

post-6056-1224741644_thumb.jpg

post-6056-1224741659_thumb.jpg

post-6056-1224741673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fuzzwolf

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.