Photo

what is that noise?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rockininthezr2488

rockininthezr2488
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,875 posts
  • Interests:-lawn care and landscaping<br />-school<br />-music<br />-nice cars, especially, the Zr2<br />-friends<br /><br />I take a lot of pride in my truck and now treat it as good as I find possible. If you have anything Z-related for sale, please drop me an email. I'm always looking for new ideas and accessories. Maybe I will have something suitable for you in return.<br /><br />-Ryan

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

always wanted to ask but always forgot to get on... too busy to do anything about it.

what the hell is up with that noise and slight jerk in the rear end when you make a turn after you have used the brakes, and halfway through the turn you begin to accelerate?

is it the positive traction or is there something that i do not kno about the rear differential on the z?

#2 Dingman

Dingman
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 5,086 posts
  • Interests:Warm weather.<br />Warm women.<br />Hot soup.<br />Hot women.<br />Steaming coffee.<br />Steaming women.

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm, that's not normal behavior. Crawl underneath and make sure the trackbar is tight on both ends... Other than that, I don't know, your truck is a little new to have a sticking brake. cool.gif
It's also possible it's the G80 acting up, but again, the symtoms you described don't fit the typical failure.
idunno.gif

#3 rockininthezr2488

rockininthezr2488
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,875 posts
  • Interests:-lawn care and landscaping<br />-school<br />-music<br />-nice cars, especially, the Zr2<br />-friends<br /><br />I take a lot of pride in my truck and now treat it as good as I find possible. If you have anything Z-related for sale, please drop me an email. I'm always looking for new ideas and accessories. Maybe I will have something suitable for you in return.<br /><br />-Ryan

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

what is the G80?

bump

#4 RancherMatt

RancherMatt
  • Former ZR2 owner
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Music, off-roading, drums, motorcycles, snowmobiles.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

My truck sometimes does that coming out of a corner in which I slowed down to go into using the brakes. Once I get back on the gas sometimes it feels as if the tranny slips a little and it jerks once it catches up with itself. Maybe thats what you are also experiencing.

#5 RancherMatt

RancherMatt
  • Former ZR2 owner
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (rockininthezr2488 @ Jun 1 2006, 03:04 PM)
what is the G80?

bump

That's the locker in the rear end. Perhaps, but it sounds more like tranny slip to me.

#6 rockininthezr2488

rockininthezr2488
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

is that a bad thing? cause i mean i can avoid this from happening if i just slowly push the gas in and then accelerate as needed.

do we really have lockers? how good are they?

#7 RancherMatt

RancherMatt
  • Former ZR2 owner
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

I am not really sure, I would assume that it isnt good. But I just figured it was one of those things where the tranny doesnt know if it should down shift or up shift comming out of the turn and the tranny slips, or feels like it slips.

I know what you mean though, if you ease on the gas it doesnt do it.

I am going to change my tranny fluid soon, if that makes it stop I will let you know.

Yeah, the G80 is a locker. I have heard mixed things about them. This is my second Z and I have never had a problem with it. idunno.gif

#8 KermZ

KermZ
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:32 PM

well ive never heard of a tranny slipping not being a bad thing .. but have you checked your fluid level? it could just be low i no when i bought mine it had a pan gasket leak and changing the fluid and filter in the trans is never a bad idea, first thing we do with almost every vehicle we buy, trans fluid and filter, then motor opil and filter

#9 TimBlaZeR2

TimBlaZeR2
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

are you sure its not just normal rearend slop, mine does it after i coast a while then accelerate. and its just normal wear and tare on the rearend

#10 JoeandKarrie

JoeandKarrie
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

The same thing happens to me but I've stopped worrying about it. I've heard that having a 4x4 introduces alot of play in the drive-train. This is why GM says that hearing a "clunk" when shifting into gear (auto trans) is normal. Each component needs a little play by design. For a 4x4 you get:

Play from trans to torque conv.
Play from Torque conv. to drive-shaft
Play from drive-shaft to rear diff.
I don't know about play in rear gears. If they do have a little then that is even more reason to hear clunks when shifting or feel grabs when re-accelerating from corners/coasting.

Eased my mind. Hope it helps

-Joe drinkbuds.gif

#11 rockininthezr2488

rockininthezr2488
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

well i only have 30k on the z, it has always done it for the amount of time that ive been driving, and i just recently had all the things i can have done to the tranny done because i got water in that when i went mudding (reminds me that i need to get some pics in)
its gotta be a common thing that most dont notice and like Timblazer2 said about the coast and then accelerate thing, i have the same thing. idunno.gif

#12 JoeandKarrie

JoeandKarrie
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (rockininthezr2488 @ Jun 1 2006, 10:29 PM)
well i only have 30k on the z, it has always done it for the amount of time that ive been driving, and i just recently had all the things i can have done to the tranny done because i got water in that when i went mudding (reminds me that i need to get some pics in)
its gotta be a common thing that most dont notice and like Timblazer2 said about the coast and then accelerate thing, i have the same thing. idunno.gif

I forgot to mention that I've owned mine from 36K to 46K and it's done it since the beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users