front diff leaking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dronz

dronz
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hey anybody know if a bad cv axle could cause the front diff to leak? I'm seeing thinned out cv boot grease around the inner and outer joint where it got whipped around.(passenger side)

This mechanic told me the reason my diff was low on gear oil is because of this problem. didn't make sense to me..

Do diffs naturally lose fluid or go thru some within 6 months to a year? the rear isnt doing it?

I have the bravada shaft upgrade.

also..are there any good replacement cv shafts out there? sick of replacing these.( for under 200 bux?)

thanx for your replies.

2002 extended cab

#2 Crusty

Crusty
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Not sure on the after market CV's
A bad cv joint could cause a wobble making the seal go bad. Also you said you did the bavada shaft install already. Did you remove the outer C clip at the cv end of that shaft? if you didnít it will push the cv shaft out about 1/4 on an inch this will cause a binding of the cv and could allow for leaking at the seal.

#3 swillbee

swillbee
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Guns, movies, fine handcrafted ales & of course my Zr2.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (dronz @ Sep 29 2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey anybody know if a bad cv axle could cause the front diff to leak? I'm seeing thinned out cv boot grease around the inner and outer joint where it got whipped around.(passenger side)

This mechanic told me the reason my diff was low on gear oil is because of this problem. didn't make sense to me..

Do diffs naturally lose fluid or go thru some within 6 months to a year? the rear isnt doing it?

also..are there any good replacement cv shafts out there? sick of replacing these.( for under 200 bux?)

thanx for your replies.

2002 extended cab

Lots of threads on this, I replaced mine recently and went with the NAPA Max-drive re-man cuz it's "most likley" going to be a reconditioned GM core that someone truned in. The CV was $ 163.00 with a $ 120.00 core that I got back. Cost me $ 43.00.
As for the leak, pull the skid plate and see if you can tell where it's coming from. Did you replace the seal in the bravada tube when you did the install/mod?

#4 dronz

dronz
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (swillbee @ Sep 30 2012, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dronz @ Sep 29 2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanx for your replies.

2002 extended cab

Lots of threads on this, I replaced mine recently and went with the NAPA Max-drive re-man cuz it's "most likley" going to be a reconditioned GM core that someone truned in. The CV was $ 163.00 with a $ 120.00 core that I got back. Cost me $ 43.00.
As for the leak, pull the skid plate and see if you can tell where it's coming from. Did you replace the seal in the bravada tube when you did the install/mod?

yeh outer c clip off and seals changed in the tube but maybe the bad cv caused it all to go ta hell like forementioned.. won't know till we get it apart and replace that cv. thanx for the replies. I'll let you know what I find.

The cv has a napa sticker on it not that I wouldn't go with it again mayebe this max model is better?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users