Redesign BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 67Truckin

67Truckin
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Does anyone have a spy photo of what the new BFGoodrich All Terrain tire will look like? They have stopped production of the current design in the 32" size already. I need tires but don't know whether to snag a set of old design All Terrains I found or wait for the new design to come out assuming it comes later this year. Anyone heard any details?

#2 cknaffle

cknaffle
  • Administrators
  • 17,306 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

First I've ever heard of this.

#3 mustash29

mustash29
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

32 AT's were scarce about this time 2 years ago & there was talk about them discontinuing the 32 size completely. Maybe it is happening for real this time.

#4 BLACK96regcabHighrider

BLACK96regcabHighrider
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

I wouldn't doubt that they're just discontinuing the 32". I wouldn't hold out for a redesign.

#5 HaulinS10

HaulinS10
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Wheeling, Fishing, Women, Eating, Sleeping.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

I've heard this from a guy on cherokeeforum that said he works for bfg. I remember he started a thread at the beginning of the year saying the bfg a/t was going to get redesigned towards the end of the year-next year.

Not sure how accurate that is though, that was the only time i've seen the subject mentioned.

Edited by HaulinS10, 24 August 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#6 N2O_ZR2

N2O_ZR2

Italians do it better

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 25,014 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Who cares? The Rugged terrain TAs seem to be a better value so far. Still need to see how they do in the snow, but from the looks of them I think they will do alright. The AT is overpriced and overrated. Only thing they do real well is snow and throwing rocks at Mach 3.

#7 cknaffle

cknaffle
  • Administrators
  • 17,306 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (N2O_ZR2 @ Aug 24 2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who cares? The Rugged terrain TAs seem to be a better value so far. Still need to see how they do in the snow, but from the looks of them I think they will do alright. The AT is overpriced and overrated. Only thing they do real well is snow and throwing rocks at Mach 3.

The Rugged Terrain will suck in the snow compared to the A/T. The thread blocks are too large and there aren't enough sipes. BFG's own description of that tire confirms that, as does the lack of the snowflake rating symbol on it.

#8 67Truckin

67Truckin
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've contacted managers at Sears, Discount Tire and Neal Tires who have all said the same thing. Production has stopped and will start back up near the end of September to fill backorders only. That would imply they are retooling for a new design that would probably start up towards the end of this year. Just can't find any solid confirmation or pics yet.

#9 jwwaldschmidt

jwwaldschmidt

Chief smoke-a-motor

• Administrators
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

This is relevant to my interests. I've always hated the look of the A/T's, I may hold out for a redesign if they're not too far out...

I'll do some research.

#10 cknaffle

cknaffle
  • Administrators
  • 17,306 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (67Truckin @ Aug 24 2012, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've contacted managers at Sears, Discount Tire and Neal Tires who have all said the same thing. Production has stopped and will start back up near the end of September to fill backorders only. That would imply they are retooling for a new design that would probably start up towards the end of this year. Just can't find any solid confirmation or pics yet.

No, that does not imply that they are retooling for a new design. It could imply that, but it doesn't imply only that. It could also imply that there is low demand, so they only make the tires a few times a year. It could also imply that they are having equipment problems, supply problems, or any number of other issues.

I learned this week that Goodyear 40x13.50x17 MT/R-K has been on national backorder for 4 months and are not scheduled to run for another 6 week. There is nothing being changed about the tire that anybody is aware of. That is one of the most popular tires out there and people have been screaming for them for months.

32 x 11.50 x 15 I can see being very unpopular. Larger than stock, but smaller than what most people go to with a lift. I don't think any OEM wheels have been 15" in years.

#11 Mike

Mike

TPTHC - Connoisseur of hotels with trains nearby.

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (cknaffle @ Aug 24 2012, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Rugged Terrain will suck in the snow compared to the A/T. The thread blocks are too large and there aren't enough sipes. BFG's own description of that tire confirms that, as does the lack of the snowflake rating symbol on it.

Snowflake symbol doesn't mean shit. Just that the tire meets a certain standardized test criteria.

#12 N2O_ZR2

N2O_ZR2

Italians do it better

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 25,014 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Oh no, no snowflake!?

lol.gif

Obviously probably not as good as the ATs, but I can't see them being what I'd consider bad in the snow. They still have relatively small tread voids compared to a mud terrain. Unfortunately we'll find out in a few months. frown.gif

#13 mustash29

mustash29
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

BFG Rugged Terrain = Soccer mom AT. nutkick.gif

#14 Macs05Z

Macs05Z
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

I for one love the BFG A/T's They are the only tire I will use. I have nothing bad to say about them. They are a great all around AT tire. They dont really do any one thing exceptionally well, but they doing everything I need wll enough. they are perfect in snow, work well in Sand, good through mud and as far as street driving goes I was able to get far more miles than the advertised 50,000 mile rating. If you treat this tire well and rotate on a regular basis they will last you for years. They are a bit pricey, but I think you certainly get what you pay for. Just my 2 cents.

#15 Mike

Mike

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Macs05Z @ Aug 25 2012, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I for one love the BFG A/T's They are the only tire I will use. I have nothing bad to say about them. They are a great all around AT tire. They dont really do any one thing exceptionally well, but they doing everything I need wll enough. they are perfect in snow, work well in Sand, good through mud and as far as street driving goes I was able to get far more miles than the advertised 50,000 mile rating. If you treat this tire well and rotate on a regular basis they will last you for years. They are a bit pricey, but I think you certainly get what you pay for. Just my 2 cents.

They were nearly $100 more per tire for the size my Tacoma took. They are far from worth it. They sell for the price they do because people will pay it.

#16 cknaffle

cknaffle
  • Administrators
  • 17,306 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Mike @ Aug 24 2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Snowflake symbol doesn't mean shit. Just that the tire meets a certain standardized test criteria.

Yes it does "mean shit." sticksmack.gif I means enough that in Canada where they require you to use winter-specific snow/ice tires, you can not use them if your tires have the snowflake rating. Its also not coincidence that most of the good snow tires on the market have this rating. There are few tires on the market that are good in the snow that don't have this rating.

#17 N2O_ZR2

N2O_ZR2

Italians do it better

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 25,014 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (cknaffle @ Aug 28 2012, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It means enough that in Canada where they require you to use winter-specific snow/ice tires, you can not use them if your tires have the snowflake rating.

But canadians are afraid of the dark.

#18 Mike

Mike

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (cknaffle @ Aug 28 2012, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Mike @ Aug 24 2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it does "mean shit." sticksmack.gif I means enough that in Canada where they require you to use winter-specific snow/ice tires, you can not use them if your tires have the snowflake rating. Its also not coincidence that most of the good snow tires on the market have this rating. There are few tires on the market that are good in the snow that don't have this rating.

Doesn't mean shit-

http://www.wheels.ca...g-market-value/

#19 TrailTamer

TrailTamer

What?!? I can't hear you!

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have always liked my BFG A/T's I had on my BlaZeR-2 (33x12.5R15)and my 97 CTD (285/75R16 Load D). Very good tread life and awesome in the snow and looks cool (without getting too aggressive). They're spendy new but I bought those tires for my dodge was only $400 off craigslist nearly brand new.

I'll like to see what BFG will have for the next gen of A/T. I hope it won't be a step-down.

Edited by TrailTamer, 02 September 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#20 Mike

Mike

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (mustash29 @ Aug 25 2012, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BFG Rugged Terrain = Soccer mom AT. nutkick.gif

First, don't confuse these with Rugged Trails that some trucks have as those do suck. I had seen these in photos and wasn't overly impressed but I saw them in person Friday and they're way more aggressive looking than photos indicate. Time will tell how they hold up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users