third door loose/rattle possible fix.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cadmobile500

cadmobile500
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

hello. first post. thanks for letting me join.
i just purchased a 2000 s10 zr2 with 86k miles. i love the truck but i have the dreaded air noise and third door rattle. i know the door pins need to be replaced, but the issue with the third door has me wondering if it would be ok to slot the bottom striker mounting holes and move it back. i have about a 1/4" of free play in the bottom of the door. the top is pretty tight although i can push it in a little against the weather stripping. also, when i removed the striker to inspect it one of the bolt holes stripped out. would it be ok to use heavy duty sheat metal screws or should i drill and tap oversize? i have access to a milling machine to slot the holes. i know the door rattle is a commen problem but havent heard of slotting the striker to make it adjustable. seems like a pretty easy fix. any opinions? thanks in advance. great forum.---tom

Attached Files

#2 cadmobile500

cadmobile500
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (cadmobile500 @ Jan 24 2012, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello. first post. thanks for letting me join.
i just purchased a 2000 s10 zr2 with 86k miles. i love the truck but i have the dreaded air noise and third door rattle. i know the door pins need to be replaced, but the issue with the third door has me wondering if it would be ok to slot the bottom striker mounting holes and move it back. i have about a 1/4" of free play in the bottom of the door. the top is pretty tight although i can push it in a little against the weather stripping. also, when i removed the striker to inspect it one of the bolt holes stripped out. would it be ok to use heavy duty sheat metal screws or should i drill and tap oversize? i have access to a milling machine to slot the holes. i know the door rattle is a commen problem but havent heard of slotting the striker to make it adjustable. seems like a pretty easy fix. any opinions? thanks in advance. great forum.---tom

nevermind, i just did it.

#3 Keviness®

Keviness®

"Yer Keviness" (aka n00b Admin)

• Administrators
  • 13,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

How did it work for you?

I'd post some pictures, I'd think that it could help some members here.

#4 cadmobile500

cadmobile500
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Keviness® @ Jan 28 2012, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did it work for you?

I'd post some pictures, I'd think that it could help some members here.

just slide it in until it wont catch then move it out a little. door is latched tight now. so tight i can hear my dash rattle now.

Attached Files

Edited by cadmobile500, 28 January 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#5 wilson174

wilson174
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:disc golf, fishing, hunting, collecting super nintendo games

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

i removed mine completely and i dont hear no wind noise or rattle. now the third door just latches on top. i did this not because of rattle noise but because inside the door when i pull the handle it doesnt move the rod that goes to the bottom and it wasnt worth taking the door apart and trying to fix.

Edited by wilson174, 28 January 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Zr2Lvr

Zr2Lvr
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Recently when my drivers door got pulled from hand with high wind the door flug forward and hyperextended it. So i suddenly got wind noise. So took to body shop and they tried three times to make it right. Said heck with them as they basically told me all S10 3rd door trucks rattle and such. Well mine didnt before the wind took it and misaligned it.

So the fix ended up being: My recent door rattle was the upper latch mounted to the roof came loose. So body shop (Different one from above) fixed since i had 2010 Equinox in shop from parking lot hit and run accident. They also did a few other things to the door. They showed me such as new clips, plastic vapor barrier as it was gone and a few areas where clips mount were dented in form who klnows where. Different body shop was great.

Now nice and quiet. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users