Photo

Front axle problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GriffZR2

GriffZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Anything Chevy, 4WD, and Diesel, preferably all 3!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

While driving the Z home from work today, on an exit ramp about 30 miles an hour, i hear a loud BANG, both front tires lock up,screeching halt on the pavement, so hard that as a matter of fact the right front tire (during mid turn when it happened) bound foreward and broke my flarette on the bumper. i have Zero left hand turning ability (or it will bind up and stop) and about 1/2 steering wheel turn to the right before it binds up and stops. my drive shaft, cv
's, and wheel bearings, steering compnents are all tight to the feel. so im guessing its got to be a ring/pinion broken teeth problem, or maybe a junk CV shaft? i just did the iron diff/bravada shaft mod about 4 months ago. the problem still occours in 2 and 4 wheel drive, at any speed.

any one have any help for me? im basically without a vehicle until i find a fix

#2 Skitch

Skitch
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Jack up front spin tires....grinding? gears crunching? Turn off the tunes LOL

Drain diff and inspect oil to see if it looks like a glitter bomb.

Put your old diff back in so you can dirve.

If you don't have your old diff get a couple of used CV's and use the outer stub axles (take cv's apart) so you can drive. The outer shaft holds the bearing together.

Inspect everything......even after you find the problem.

Good luck man

#3 GriffZR2

GriffZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Anything Chevy, 4WD, and Diesel, preferably all 3!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

i've got two old CV's that im taking to the machine shop tomorrow that i'll have milled down and faced off to put in, im going that route so i can atleast drive it. should be back mobile by monday. i'll inspect grenaded parts and report back monday.

#4 Skitch

Skitch
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Sounded like some serious shit from your post. Check your frame for cracks while your having fun...smile.gif

I'd have a fuckin spaz attack if that shit happened to me....lmfao

#5 Crusty

Crusty
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I busted a ring and pinion, and had no problems turning at all. but when the teeth didnít line up it would lock the front end up, had to back up a bit to unlock it and then slowly forward until it would do it again.

When you did the bravada shaft did you remove the outer clip on the shaft? if you didn't it will push the cv shaft about 1/4 '' towards the hub bearing putting pressure on the cv part of the shaft. it will bind up when the suspension drops and can bust a shaft, IIRC Miles is the guy who knows all about this..

A busted cv could cause the steering to bind for sure..

You should also be able to push the bearing cage up in the cv and pop the clip off the shaft then the stub end will be free. Yeah it is a nasty job with grease all over the place but that better then paying a machine shop to do it. I drove for just about a year with just the stub ends in and nuts on.. not a problem at all..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users