• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nevr

nevr
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

symptoms are as follows

When i start my truck during the day, i get no cluster lights or speedo/tach/4x4 switch. when i turn the headlight switch on, they turn all on (sometimes), but when i start driving a block or two, they all go back out. my coolant temp goes to red (just the gauge) and my gas gauge goes to e when this happens. My 4x4 switch doesnt get power when this happens, so its very inconvenient. Also, sometimes when all the lights are out during the day, my truck doesn't shift right, usually just not downshifting on its own. related?

When i start my truck at night, still nothing works until i turn the headlight switch on, then everything works as it should, 4x4, cluster, everything.

i have covered the light sensor during the day, no difference. i have a headlight switch ordered, will be getting it this weekend, am i on the right track? other thoughts were good old grounds, any key interior grounds i should check? wiring diagrams are Chinese to me, shit!

#2 gsmobile2007

gsmobile2007
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 3,956 posts
  • Interests:ZR2's, Computers, Photography.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

Have you recently removed the gauge cluster? (Maybe to change a bulb.) This sounds like a short in the wiring that runs up the stearing column, which can get pinched when the cluster is moved.

#3 nevr

nevr
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (gsmobile2007 @ Nov 24 2011, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you recently removed the gauge cluster? (Maybe to change a bulb.) This sounds like a short in the wiring that runs up the stearing column, which can get pinched when the cluster is moved.

No, i have not, and i dont think it has ever been removed.

I must emphasize, the day/night thing is consistent. Always work at night. never for more than a minute during the day, usually only 15 seconds. i do the same driving both times.

Edited by nevr, 24 November 2011 - 03:16 AM.

#4 GriffZR2

GriffZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Anything Chevy, 4WD, and Diesel, preferably all 3!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

what year truck? Possibly the DRL module...

#5 nevr

nevr
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (GriffZR2 @ Nov 24 2011, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what year truck? Possibly the DRL module...

2000! ill do some searching, sounds probable, as the day night difference is constant.

#6 nevr

nevr
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Cant find anything on the DRL module. Covered up the light sensor on the dash today in the sun... what to do you know, everything turned back on. anybody care to comment on this??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users