Loose transfer case chain?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmayfield682

cmayfield682
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Is this what a loose chain sounds like? Or is it more likely the two piece collar not engaging or disengaging completely?

The noise starts at about 0:08 and lasts until about 0:30. It only happens after I hit 60 on the highway, after that if I keep on the accelerator it doesn't make any noise but if I let off the gas it sounds like this every time until I come to a complete stop. This is in two wheel drive with a "bravada shaft" (vacuum actuator is locked all the time for some reason. I'm doing a real bravada shaft very soon.) If i put it in 4hi it doesn't make any noise and if it is MAKING the noise and i put it in 4hi it stops.

#2 RareBreedZ

RareBreedZ
  • Former ZR2 owner Subscribed
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

A loose chain is most noticeable under load in 4wd and you hear/feel something awful...

#3 cmayfield682

cmayfield682
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

It sounds alot worse in person than it does in that video and I can feel it through the seat and steering wheel and pedals. It shakes the truck more the more i slow down and the louder it gets until i stop and then it clunks and goes away. But it doesn't make sense that it's in 2wd unless the front driveshaft spinning has something to do with it.

Edited by cmayfield682, 20 October 2011 - 05:24 PM.

#4 GriffZR2

GriffZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Anything Chevy, 4WD, and Diesel, preferably all 3!

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

its definatley on the transfer case side. notice, if it does that and you click it in and back out of 4HI, it will go away. it has nothing to do with the front axle, (i dont believe) cause i had the vacuum lock unhooked for a while. and i notice for me, that it only happens when i very rapidly accellerate and pick up speed, or when im going up a hill and coming back down. i dont know exactly what the problem is, but i have it too.

EDIT: i too during this had my vacuum actuator hard-vacuumed into my brake booster (so the axle would lock, unknown problem for me with why my transfer case wouldnt pull enough vacuum to engauge the axle) but either way, i have the same deal, and not sure about the fix either. i think, (just an idea) that the axle is backward-engauging the transfer case, that the driveshaft spinning is turning both set of gears in the transfer case and the sound is loose slack in the chain from being backward-engauged.

This is just a loose-idea, no mechanical proof or anything behind this, so dont madshoot.gif me for this, just an idea.

Edited by GriffZR2, 20 October 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#5 cmayfield682

cmayfield682
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

I'm actually going to pull the vacuum stuff off before I go to work tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it I'll pull the driveshaft on the way home and see if that helps. I'll probably be pulling the t-case this weekend to have a look, if it ever quits raining madshoot.gif

QUOTE (GriffZR2 @ Oct 20 2011, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: i too during this had my vacuum actuator hard-vacuumed into my brake booster (so the axle would lock, unknown problem for me with why my transfer case wouldnt pull enough vacuum to engauge the axle) but either way, i have the same deal, and not sure about the fix either. i think, (just an idea) that the axle is backward-engauging the transfer case, that the driveshaft spinning is turning both set of gears in the transfer case and the sound is loose slack in the chain from being backward-engauged.

This is just a loose-idea, no mechanical proof or anything behind this, so dont madshoot.gif me for this, just an idea.

This is what I was thinking, but then why doesn't anyone with a bravada shaft have this problem? idunno.gif Doesn't it make the driveshaft spin too? Can anyone that knows anything about transfer cases chime in? I'll admit I know next to nothing about how they work. frown.gif

Edited by cmayfield682, 20 October 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#6 GriffZR2

GriffZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Anything Chevy, 4WD, and Diesel, preferably all 3!

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

just unhook the vacuum line at the actuator. that will be the best/fastest remedy for temporary trial. if it still does it, then its an axle problem (i'd think). but i bet 10:1 that the problem goes away if/when you unhook the actuator, it will go away.

#7 cmayfield682

cmayfield682
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (cmayfield682 @ Oct 20 2011, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually going to pull the vacuum stuff off before I go to work tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it I'll pull the driveshaft on the way home and see if that helps. I'll probably be pulling the t-case this weekend to have a look, if it ever quits raining madshoot.gif

It's getting too late for me to think. Let me try this again. I'm going to pull the DRIVESHAFT first because if the problem is the t-case, the sound will go away but if it has something to do with the vacuum/slip collar stuff it will still make noise. That'll be the quickest way to narrow it down right?

#8 cmayfield682

cmayfield682
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Alright guys I didn't get a chance to pull the front driveshaft yet (decided to sleep in) so I drove it to work in 4hi again. It's now making the noise in 4wd too. It's not as loud but I think it's also doing it while I accelerate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users