OLD BLUE Build Thread - 71 Chevy
Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:02 PM
Sucks but its the only way to get anything done...
Ole blues looking good and i like #12 on the board
Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:31 PM
I took care of it for them.
Went and picked up some 3/16" and 1/4" drops from the local metal shop today. Have the materials, now I just need the motivation.
Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:52 PM
The start of my home-made B52 kit. I was going to weld them together but wifey was using the dryer, and I wasn't about to stop her progress
Broke the swirl ring on my plasma torch so I got to cut these all out by hand with a grinder/chop saw...
For those that say they don't have the right tools. This goes to show you a drawring, some angle grinders and a small drill press go a long way.
Now I just need to integrate some body mounts then start building the slider boxes.
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:15 PM
Start with Homebrew expresso stout and some planning
Cut materials (I made the OD of the shackle boxes 9" and the slot 7")
Drill 3/4" holes to show the beginning and end of the slot
When I am trying to make multiple identical plates, I tack weld them together so the holes all line up.
Get friendly with my 7" metabo making the slots
Assemble with some 3" spacers to establish width
Bam, I present you home-made shackle sliders
Still need to cut the UHMW and bolt spacers.
Ran out of motivation, off to make/drink some beer.
Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:57 PM
Just gotta drill them out now.
Made ~10 so I have some spares just in case.
Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:35 PM
Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:36 AM
I have nothing to add, I'll just keep watching to see how it turns out.
Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:55 PM
This is the reason that I post these detailed photos. In hopes that I at least help just one person break out of the box and try a new method, or do something themselves instead of purchasing a premade part.
In the case of these leaf spring sliders though, it would have been waaaay easier to just buy the ones from Liquid Iron Industries.
Drilled out the UHMW pucks
It was snowing outside and I had nothing better to do, so I got a wild hair and switched the machine over to TIG. Probably haven't tried/done TIG for ~2 years or so.
For whatever reason I couldn't figure out/get the footpedal to work so this is just with the trigger on pulse.
Tried to TIG on a couple of spots on the inside of the brackets, but it was a PITA, so I will MIG weld the inside next time I am out working.
Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:12 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users