Photo

Replacing your oil pan/gasket?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: did this help you? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Did this write up help you?

1. yes (10 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. no (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

I'm Subscribed, but I can't see the good stuff!

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts
  • Interests:pretty much anything offroad, fishing, hunting, target shooting, drumming, playing guitar, metal fab, welding, wood working, construction, electronics, diesel mechanics, excavating, heavy equipment operation

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Oct 15th: hello i have a 2000 s10 Z that needs a new oil pan
can someone give me a step by step of how to do this
please and thanks

Oct 19th: UPDATE!!!
thanks to everyones help we got the oil pan out
we also had to replace the front cover so we did some extra stuff
Heres some pictures
1st!!!!! drain the oil and coolant
jack her up and put her on jack stands and take off the tires
Attached File  100_0999.JPG   865.13KB   36 downloads
for how we did it your gonna need a shop crane, a foldable one is niceAttached File  100_0981.JPG   1.01MB   22 downloads
then we took out the fan shroud, fan clutch, fan, belt, water pump and the pulley and every ting else in the way and attached a chain for hoistingAttached File  100_1006.JPG   1.13MB   39 downloadsAttached File  100_1005.JPG   1.04MB   38 downloads
seriously consider investing in a harmonic balancer puller it will save your sanity
Attached File  100_0986.JPG   1.01MB   33 downloads
remove all the skids plates and unbolt the front drive shaft and the exhaust
Attached File  100_1000.JPG   987.08KB   42 downloadsAttached File  100_0982.JPG   718.03KB   29 downloads

get a front end service kit the take out the steering linkage bolts and the tie rod then turn the steering wheel all the way to the right
Attached File  100_0992.JPG   986.98KB   34 downloadsAttached File  100_0983.JPG   950.94KB   30 downloadsAttached File  100_0994.JPG   1011KB   21 downloadsAttached File  100_0991.JPG   607.54KB   20 downloads
unbolt the shocks and move them out the of the wayAttached File  100_1003.JPG   850.53KB   27 downloads
then attach your crane and lift till tension and unbolt your 2 motor mounts you can get to them from the wheel wells.
(no pic sorry)
then hoist it up as far as you think it can go without hitting anything
(again no pic for this step)
unbolt your 2 diff mounts and wiggle it out of them and push it as far forward as you can.
Attached File  100_1001.JPG   1.32MB   46 downloads
then take out the oil filter lines and the oil filter attachment thingy up in the block, dont forget the gaskets and the oring up in there
Attached File  100_0993.JPG   522.53KB   42 downloadsAttached File  100_0990.JPG   658.85KB   26 downloads
then start unbolting the pan bolts.
pull out the two black rubber things near the back of the pan
there are two nuts way up in there you have to take out also.
after all bolts are out give her a good whack and she'll come loose.
then wiggle and shimmy it out of their but not too hard dont screw up the oil pick up screen and it should come out. Attached File  100_0988.JPG   1.47MB   90 downloadsAttached File  100_0989.JPG   1.46MB   67 downloadsAttached File  100_0995.JPG   1.14MB   121 downloads
and there you go!
one of these if helpful also
Attached File  100_0985.JPG   960.07KB   37 downloads
be sure and keep track of all your parts and nuts and boltsAttached File  100_0987.JPG   936.04KB   72 downloads
your gonna want to do this in a building too its a good 13-15 hours minumumAttached File  100_0984.JPG   1.01MB   55 downloads

as for putting it back in
haha
we havent gotten that far
we still waiting on the oil pan to get here
if you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me!

Edited by chevywheeler, 21 October 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#2 VictoryRedZR2

VictoryRedZR2

Has too many ZR2's

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

best person to ask is compozr2, I believe, not mistaking he took his out one time. smile.gif

He will tell you when the oil pan will not come out!

#3 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts
  • Interests:pretty much anything offroad, fishing, hunting, target shooting, drumming, playing guitar, metal fab, welding, wood working, construction, electronics, diesel mechanics, excavating, heavy equipment operation

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

ok thanks hopefully he will get around to reading this

#4 compozr2

compozr2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

i dont have any step by steps available to send out on the comp.
umm, you gotta take out the entire front suspension. front diff. and all. there are write-ups for just about all of that stuff I believe. Once its all out, there you will see all the bolts you need to pull. there are 2 black 'plugs' on the back side of the pan that you will need to pull out. I used a pair of vice grips, grabbed on and gave them a spin and a tug. there is one nut on each side up there a ways, you will need atleast a 12" extension. I believe all of the nuts and bolts to get that pan off are 13mm. there are also two, umm, maybe 3 bolts from the tranny forward to the pan. those may be 15mm though. you will need to remove the oil filter relocator from the back d. side of the pan. Once all that is out, it should pretty much come on down. I had to do some twistin n/ turnin to get it down. it was gettin cought up on the pick up screen.
uhh, thats all i can think of. your other option is to pull the motor. and do it that way.

feel free to ask anything else.

#5 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

will raising the engine change anything?

#6 VictoryRedZR2

VictoryRedZR2

Has too many ZR2's

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

lol, told ya chevy wheeler.

CompoZr2, you should really make that a sticky because what I just read seem very help for people who are in need of taking out of an oil pan. Too bad you didn't have picture when you were doing yours.

BTW, how that valcover gasket doing? Still leaking?

#7 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

yeah you were right on that one VictoryRedZr2
but we just went out and spent $130 bucks on a shop crane for this job hopefully it will make it so i don't have to pull the whole front suspension i hope
when i do, do this whole job I'll definitely snap some pics and do a write up

Edited by chevywheeler, 15 October 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#8 VictoryRedZR2

VictoryRedZR2

Has too many ZR2's

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

sure that would be great!

BTW, what is wrong with your oil pan, cracked?

#9 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

ya know im not really sure!
i'm got a hunch its the oil pan gasket but i also think there may be a hair line crack near the top so i ordered a new pan and gasket up and gonna put em on anyways to cover my bases. also gonna replace the front timing cover while i'm at it
someone before me had it off and the idiot first of all reused the thing and used household caulking to try to seal it up!

Edited by chevywheeler, 15 October 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#10 VictoryRedZR2

VictoryRedZR2

Has too many ZR2's

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

I hate buying a truck from somebody and fixing their mistakes. For example on my part. I brought the truck and he screw up the front end (badly out of line) and screw up some of the 4x4 hosing.

Yes, that is a very good idea to do things on the motor since you have it out.

Might want to consider doing the intake manifold gasket as well?

Good luck and keep us posted! thumup.gif

#11 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:04 PM

alrighty thanks for the referral to compozr2
once i do this job i'll put up a how to with some pics
also i may just pull the whole engine and get an overhaul kit for it
i also think i need to replace my rear main seal

thumup.gif

#12 abright52

abright52

He SWEPT the votes!

• Sponsored Member
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Procedure from GM Service Manual:

Attached Files

#13 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

thanks there adam but in step 3 its kind of vague saying "remove the front differential assembly"
i wonder what that includes

#14 compozr2

compozr2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

Front diff ass. means everything. The assy is considered the pig itself, but everything else has to come out for the pig to come out. You can pull the motor if you'd like. but you cant raise it up enough to clear the pan from the front diff. Therefore you have to detatch from the tranny. if your goin that far, just pull the motor and do an overhual as you stated. Be sure to get some RTV for the corners of the gaskets! I had some pics, just not any that are gonna help with a how-to process. here is my post

http://www.zr2usa.co...showtopic=30207

Edited by compozr2, 15 October 2008 - 10:36 PM.

#15 compozr2

compozr2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

I have the exact version of directions abright has. just in paper form so that does you no good. glad someone had access to them. follow those step by step and you'll do just fine. ask if you have any questions.

#16 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

when you raise the engine can you unbolt the front diff and move it out of the way enough without having to "remove anything" ?

#17 compozr2

compozr2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

negative. hop in chat if you'd like

#18 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

whats chat

#19 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

Well we got her guys. i'll post how we did it and some pictures in a minute.

#20 Benielsahn

Benielsahn

• Subscribed GM Owner
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

well here it is tell me what you think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users