wierd noise coming from rear end

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cb...ZR2

cb...ZR2
  • inactive member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

recently my z started making a wierd noise from the differential. cant really explain the noise its making, i guess its kind of clanking noise but it doesn't sound real serious and it only does it when accelerating at low rpm's in 1st gear and sometimes in 2nd gear. driveability has not been affected. has anyone ever experienced anything like this? i can not figure out what it is. any help will be appreciated.

#2 Fitz

Fitz

TPTHC - Rockin your face off since off since 1978

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

Check your U-joints. They make all kinds of weird noises when they are going bad. Mine made a rachet like sound, but I have heard some squeak, grind, and pop.

#3 HenryJ

HenryJ

S-10CREWCAB.COM

• Sponsored Member Subscribed
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:Dragracing, Streetrods, 4x4, Outdoors, 'puters

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

Check for slack in the spiders if the u-joints look good. You will have to pop the cover to inspect them, but a change of fliud is due anyway, right?
GM had a problem with the temper in some axle side gears from 2000-2004 in the 8 1/2 rear ends. I have had to change out three sets of axle side gears thus far. An updated set is available now. The tooth count and part numbers have been changed. These were all open differentials, but I suspect the G80 could have the same issues. I do not have enough of those in the fleet to know for sure.
Check the carrier bearings for looseness. No side play is acceptable. There were some issues with using the wrong diff gasket and blocking the oiling holes for the axle tubes. This starves the carrier bearings lubricant and leads to premature failure.
More on that issue here: Wrong Differential Gasket And Cover ? (S-10crewcab.com Forum).
ZR2.com had a good artilce about it in the FAQ. Here is one from the Impala Forum : IMPALA SS DIFFERENTIAL EXPOSED

#4 cb...ZR2

cb...ZR2
  • inactive member
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

thanks for the replies. turns out it was the u joint. replaced it today, problem fixed. thanks alot for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users