Photo

Why is my truck leaning...and how do I fix it?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 2004blazerzr2

2004blazerzr2
  • Former ZR2 owner Subscribed
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Yesterday I put my first post up and jigg and cknaffle were a huge help in getting me set straight on what shackles to get (daystar 1.5") - THANK YOU!

Now my next problems is the following:

I set all four tires to 30 lbs of pressure and then measured the from the ground (level) to the bottom of the wheel well....here is what I got:

Driver front: 36"
Pass front: 35"

Driver rear: 35 1/4"
Pass rear: 33 1/4"

There is an obvious lean to the passenger side.

Also both the front and rear axles are shifted over to the drivers side - the front is only over about 1 1/4 inches...the rear is just horible!

I know that I've mentioned two problems...what causes this...how can it be fixed?

The truck is still under warranty and I am taking it in for an appointment on Thursday.

What result should I expect from the dealer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Also, I'm in the process of trying to upload some pics of my truck to my profile.

Thanks,

Greg

#2 iggy

iggy
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 2,505 posts
  • Interests:my Z<br />my friends &amp; family<br />drums,music<br />golf<br />partying<br />camp,fish,shoot,hike,wheelin,ridin<br />woodworking<br />women<br />women<br />my Z

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

I don't think my axles are shifted, but my truck b lower on the driver's side just a bit idunno.gif you should be able to adjust the front with a t-bar crank but I don't know of a way to level the rear off the to o my head....anyone else? reallycrazy.gif

#3 largemouthbass

largemouthbass
  • Former ZR2 owner
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

This is a very common problem with the blazer/jimmy. Mine had a lean when I got it as well.
when I took it to the dealer they adjusted the t-bars slightly and told me they would replace the rear right leaf but they had to order it. I could not wait so I installed shackles myself and played with the t-bars and presto! My truck is about as level as it will get.

#4 iggy

iggy
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 2,505 posts
  • Interests:my Z<br />my friends &amp; family<br />drums,music<br />golf<br />partying<br />camp,fish,shoot,hike,wheelin,ridin<br />woodworking<br />women<br />women<br />my Z

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

what would cause a leaf to go bad... overloaded or somethin? reallycrazy.gif

#5 largemouthbass

largemouthbass
  • Former ZR2 owner
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

problem is GM use's the same leaf's that they put on the pick-up. With the extra weight in the blazer/jimmy rearend they sag out extra fast.

there are a few things you can do but I would say adding shackles is the easiest.

#6 stroker01zr2

stroker01zr2

"MacGyver"

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

your drivers side is higher, which means that if you are sitting in the cab with a full tank of gas it will be about even. my drivers side drops almost an inch when i get in(and im a small guy), not even considering fuel. just something to remember when trying to adjust anything.

#7 TrUcKeR

TrUcKeR
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

Get the fatties out of the back.

On the Blazer, it probably sags on the pass side rear first because of the weight of the spare tire carrier being more on that side.

#8 orangesonoma

orangesonoma
  • Sponsored Member Subscribed
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (stroker01zr2 @ Aug 7 2007, 08:52 PM)
your drivers side is higher, which means that if you are sitting in the cab with a full tank of gas it will be about even. my drivers side drops almost an inch when i get in(and im a small guy), not even considering fuel. just something to remember when trying to adjust anything.

see gm engineers ain't so stupid after all..huh?

#9 yamikaze

yamikaze
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Wine, women, motorized anything, and song, photography

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

All the advice these guys are giving is good, but if you really want to fix it do a solid axle swap.

jester.gif Sorry I'm a little bored tonight

#10 TrailTamer

TrailTamer

What?!? I can't hear you!

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

Imo that pass side rear leaf spring sags more than drivers side cuz when you accelerate and the whole truck have a little roll to pass side and rear at take off.

#11 TrUcKeR

TrUcKeR
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (orangesonoma @ Aug 7 2007, 07:00 PM)

Be careful when you open THAT can of worms. GM engineers are retarded. IFS on an off-road package truck is a dead giveaway.

And don't even get me started on all the interior shit that spans all S10 years that is as fragile as a virgins cooter.

And shall we talk about the P1870 code thst eventually surfaces in almost ALL 4L60E transmissions?

How 'bout that the 4.3 is a gas hog for being in a mini p/u?

Or a shitty ABS system that so many have had go out on them because of an easily corroded wire or sensor.

Everyone has a trackbar issue on a Z p/u.

Yeah, after all the years the S10 was in production, they never addressed any of the common flaws.

Don't get me wrong, the S-Series overall is probably my 2nd favorite mini truck, following only the Nissan Hardbody.

I will never accuse GM engineers of being brilliant. Shit, just look at the Cobalt, and that Holden Monaro that they decided to throw the GTO badge at. It's proof that the decision makers at GM have Downs Syndrome.

/rant

#12 largemouthbass

largemouthbass
  • Former ZR2 owner
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

well put Mike!

#13 nmband13

nmband13
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Trucker Mike @ Aug 7 2007, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (orangesonoma @ Aug 7 2007, 07:00 PM)

Be careful when you open THAT can of worms. GM engineers are retarded. IFS on an off-road package truck is a dead giveaway.

And don't even get me started on all the interior shit that spans all S10 years that is as fragile as a virgins cooter.

And shall we talk about the P1870 code thst eventually surfaces in almost ALL 4L60E transmissions?

How 'bout that the 4.3 is a gas hog for being in a mini p/u?

Or a shitty ABS system that so many have had go out on them because of an easily corroded wire or sensor.

Everyone has a trackbar issue on a Z p/u.

Yeah, after all the years the S10 was in production, they never addressed any of the common flaws.

Don't get me wrong, the S-Series overall is probably my 2nd favorite mini truck, following only the Nissan Hardbody.

I will never accuse GM engineers of being brilliant. Shit, just look at the Cobalt, and that Holden Monaro that they decided to throw the GTO badge at. It's proof that the decision makers at GM have Downs Syndrome.

/rant

what you have just said, totally sums up EVERYTHING!

icon_appl.gif

#14 downsouthGAzr2

downsouthGAzr2

Undeserving of good avatar sig

• Former ZR2 owner
  • 3,632 posts
  • Interests:southern women, country music, punk rock, metal, bluegrass, lots a different music... mud, ridin the 4wheeler and jetski when i can... parties and beer (im in college still)

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

the rear axle is shifted over becuase of the panhard bar. everyones truck here should do it just a little... if your front is shifted over to one side you got problems. as for leaning, your torsion bars are just getting weak with age. crank up the passenger side an inch to make up for it.

#15 sxrcamaroZR2

sxrcamaroZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

Well I have the same problem in my GMC ZR2 pu, But my truck has done that since day one when I bought it brand new. I think I might try and custom make a set of shackles and make the passenger side about a half inch to an inch longer. I Don't think adjusting the torsion bars will help the leaning to the passenger side, but it will make the front more even. I hate the lean too myself, and it pisses me off when people following me notice it and ask me why that is. I tell them GM was trying to figure out the vehicle load situation with the fuel tank and driver. It would make sense but I just don't see engineers concerning themselves with that when there are so many other issues, problems and better vehicles to deal with. When they Finally adressed the gas mileage, interoir creeks and squeeks and suspension lean... We got the Colorado/Canyon, its nice don't get my wrong, but it could have been much better for what it costs. However I seem to average about 18-19mpgs and I have minimal problems with my interior so I guess some got it worse than others.

#16 2004blazerzr2

2004blazerzr2
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

A quick update.

I dropped the truck off today at my local Chevy dealer. I gave them a "to do" list that included a few things.

A few hours later I get a call from a rep telling me that they will do the oil change and tire rotation but that it will cost for them to diagnose the other problems. I said what...cost? - the guy quickly responsed by asking if I had an extended warranty...I said no I don't - but why wouldn't it be covered under the factory warranty. - the rep quickly recovered and said that he hadn't looked that up yet and that if under warranty there would be no cost.

Just to add, when I had first bought the truck in March the thermostat went and I took it to the same dealer. When I picked it up they tried to charge me for the diagnosis and repair...this was the first time that I had to remind them that it was still under warranty.

I would acuse this dealer of being "shady" but I guess this behavior is just par for the course.

Anyway, back to my story - I got a call in the evening saying that they would need to keep my truck overnight.

That's all for now.

Greg

#17 RLTimbs

RLTimbs
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (2004blazerzr2 @ Aug 9 2007, 11:14 PM)
A quick update.

I dropped the truck off today at my local Chevy dealer. I gave them a "to do" list that included a few things.

A few hours later I get a call from a rep telling me that they will do the oil change and tire rotation but that it will cost for them to diagnose the other problems. I said what...cost? - the guy quickly responsed by asking if I had an extended warranty...I said no I don't - but why wouldn't it be covered under the factory warranty. - the rep quickly recovered and said that he hadn't looked that up yet and that if under warranty there would be no cost.

Just to add, when I had first bought the truck in March the thermostat went and I took it to the same dealer. When I picked it up they tried to charge me for the diagnosis and repair...this was the first time that I had to remind them that it was still under warranty.

I would acuse this dealer of being "shady" but I guess this behavior is just par for the course.

Anyway, back to my story - I got a call in the evening saying that they would need to keep my truck overnight.

That's all for now.

Greg

so whats the update with your truck?

#18 nmband13

nmband13
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

leans about 1.5-2in on the drivers side, checked the tbars they are both the same, new tbars installed with bds lift about 2yrs ago

Attached Files

#19 rockininthezr2488

rockininthezr2488
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,875 posts
  • Interests:-lawn care and landscaping<br />-school<br />-music<br />-nice cars, especially, the Zr2<br />-friends<br /><br />I take a lot of pride in my truck and now treat it as good as I find possible. If you have anything Z-related for sale, please drop me an email. I'm always looking for new ideas and accessories. Maybe I will have something suitable for you in return.<br /><br />-Ryan

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:42 AM

the shift of the rear axle to the drivers side has been discussed a many of times.... just gotta find it.

for some reason, on the '03 models and up, the axle is shifted a little to the left. whether that be due to the trac-bar i don't know. my truck is an '01 and i do not have the shift in the axle. most guys will say that removing the trac-bar will solve the problem but they will also tell you that this increases body roll and axle wrap (<--- whatever that is readit.gif ). surprisingly though, some say they don't mind these two conditions and some actually like them. it is all about your feel for the road and how you drive it.

i will say though... just about everyone of the ZR2's or BlaZeR2's has a body leaning problem after a period of time. the best thing to cure that is a set of shackles and a torsion bar adjustment. the leaf springs are quite soft. after the first 4 years of owning my truck, it finally got the rear end sags. set of 2" shackles and a t-bar adjustment and we're all good.

gl with the dealership.

Edited by rockininthezr2488, 28 September 2007 - 01:43 AM.

#20 2004blazerzr2

2004blazerzr2
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

I apologize for the delay in my reply...!

The dealership took a day to diagnose the truck - telling me that the leaf springs had shifted apart causing the problem (whatever this means...it looked fine to me). They said that I needed to bring the truck back to have the leaf springs replaced but that they were on back order and there was no estimated time of arrival. So, after a few phone calls - I found out that one part had come in but that they were waiting on the other...I was a little confused (keep reading).

I did finally get a call telling me that both parts were in...I asked what those parts were and they said the leaf springs and shackles.

They kept my truck for two days (and gave me a rental) - the leafs and shackles on both sides were replaced.

It looks like the fix has worked but I need to get the truck back into my garage, check the tire pressure, and then measure the truck.

I also had the dealership fix my door locks (they said it was a fuse) and I requested that my rear window defroster be fixed...line 3-5 are not working...thier response was that they tested the defroster and it has electrical current...I said yes, I know that but as I stated lines 3-5 are not working...blah blah blah...still not fixed.

The kicker is that my factory warrant is now expired.

Now on to the warranty issue...

I got a card in the mail (from my dealership prior to my warranty expiring) offering me an extended warranty. So I called and got a qoute for $1600 for 4 year and 60,000 miles...but picked up my truck after the leafs/shackles...I'm told that they made a mistake and that the actual cost is $3,200. I contested this mistake but ultimately gave up after being shuffled from person to person.

So, I get a "how was your service" phone call from GM and I let them have it...the next day I get a call from the dealership asking me to explain my problem. I explained the issue and was told that I would be called back...well no call back.

With all that said...I am enjoying the truck. I'm also hoping that we get some good snow in the Northeast this winter so I can do some 4 wheel driving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users