12 replies to this topic

#1 Miles

Miles

Local IFS Moron

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Mike,

What exactly does GM do to their factory offered CV axles, that the aftermarket just cannot seem to duplicate? What material do they use? Tempering process? Why are they so fricking expensive ($400+ each)??? lol.gif

My 140K mile factory original CV axles have served me incredibly well, and have taken an amazing amount of abuse for the past 60K miles since I've owned the vehicle. They have survived the front locker for the past 2 years, survived bouncing up & down off of large rocks, high RPM hill climbs where I was wound out in 2nd gear LO range, while sawing the wheel back & forth.......and have NEVER let me down one single time after everything I've dished out to them.

My factory original CV's recently lost their inner band clamps though, and spewed CV axle grease all over the place.....but were still operating fine. Because of their 140K mileage, I decided to just replace them both with an aftermarket brand that claimed was 100% brand new. They are offered through O Reilly Auto Parts for $59.99 as their best replacement option:

Cardone Select

It wasn't until I replaced the 140K mile factory originals, with the Cardone Select CV's, that I began snapping them like they were twigs on measly obstacles. Here's one that I broke last weekend while climbing a hill. I did not even hear or feel it break. The drivers side tire merely stopped pulling:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I find it very hard to spend $800 on brand new factory original CV axles. But if everything that the parts stores have to offer, just cannot meet the originals in terms of performance.....I may have no other choice. I guess it's better than paying $900 APIECE for custom chrome-moly units. ugh.gif

Thoughts?

#2 Miles

Miles

Local IFS Moron

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

FWIW, I just got off the phone with Cardone's tech line, and got some interesting info about what they do with their CV axles. They offer both rebuilt units, as well as brand new replacements. The rebuilt units are all rebuilt factory originals, and they control 100% of the rebuilding process there in Philadelphia. They do magnaflux the shafts for cracks, stress fractures, etc., before rebuilding them, which is a very good thing. The brand new units are NOT built by them, but are outsourced from "who knows where" (his words) anonymously from around the world!!!

My point being that if anyone needs to replace a CV axle, IF you are not buying new GM units, buy rebuilt units, since they are more than likely rebuilt factory originals. I would highly advise NOT buying the "brand new" units, as who knows who is building them, and what kind of quality control levels they are held to. Keep in mind that the common parts that break in the CV's are the cages, and those parts they are replacing them with may not be as strong as the factory original cages. I've seen lots of rebuilt units break, but few factory originals. Most break them due to over-cranked TB's, which can exceed the operating angles of the CV shaft.

Edited by Miles, 04 March 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#3 BWroZR2

BWroZR2
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my daughter<br><br><br><br>Proud Member of the NHRA<br>Music

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

That place is 20 mins from me..... shakira.gif idea.gif

#4 Keeper

Keeper
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

That makes me glad I have the bolt on ones smile.gif About the ONLY redeeming feature of the 95...lol

If you still have your originals could you not just pop the end off the original and slap it on there? Add a new clamp and be done with it?

Edited by Keeper, 04 March 2008 - 06:13 PM.

#5 LS1 Mike

LS1 Mike
  • Former ZR2 owner Subscribed
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

There is almost always a big difference between a factory part, and the aftermarket parts. Every aftermarket company does theirs different, and the import parts are usually the worse.

One problem with buying a rebuilt part is, if the end was bad they would use the same replacement part you had on the replacement style axle.

#6 TimBlaZeR2

TimBlaZeR2
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

This thread should be stickyed someplace..

Im getting ready to replace my CV shafts at the same time (only 48k miles on them) the passenger side is popping and throwing grease, the drivers side is throwing some grease too. I have my torsion bars cranked but its still within Z spec, barely. I have drove threw alot of water im guessing that led to the failure somewhat.

I too am going to go with rebuilt ones from Orileys, and new seals for my front diff.
this thread was very helpful.

#7 beedle4

beedle4

Dreams of switching to chrome wheels

• Former ZR2 owner Subscribed
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

well if you want new gm's and you can wait a bit they are 313.51 left and 316.21 for the right on gmpartsdirect.com

#8 diverdmt

diverdmt
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

What are the CV axle part numbers. GM

#9 vanr

vanr
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,894 posts
  • Interests:The first Zr2 with production snorkel, RCV's, and LSD

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

This was for my 00 ZR2 blazer with slip in's

I have the OEM part number in my RCV post as well

looks like the part number changed

Edited by vanr, 24 June 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#10 jderekt

jderekt
  • Elite Subscribed Member
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, reloading, wheeling, camping, fishing

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

I made some parts searches for these about 4 months ago and found both sides, factory original, from a wrecked rig with less than 25K on them. They showed up in pristine condition.

I plan to make this search again and see if I cant get two more for spares.

That really sucks how those are breaking. Did you have to pull the diff apart to get the broken part out?

#11 minichevyzr2

minichevyzr2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

why not pull salvage axles? if they're factory original then why not? :idea:

car-part.com

#12 N2O_ZR2

N2O_ZR2

Italians do it better

• Elite Subscribed Member
  • 28,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

why not pull salvage axles? if they're factory original then why not? :idea:

car-part.com

Good possibility of them being replaced at some point if not from a low mile truck.

#13 swillbee

swillbee
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Guns, movies, fine handcrafted ales & of course my Zr2.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

Mike,

What exactly does GM do to their factory offered CV axles, that the aftermarket just cannot seem to duplicate? What material do they use? Tempering process? Why are they so fricking expensive ($400+ each)??? lol.gif

My 140K mile factory original CV axles have served me incredibly well, and have taken an amazing amount of abuse for the past 60K miles since I've owned the vehicle. They have survived the front locker for the past 2 years, survived bouncing up & down off of large rocks, high RPM hill climbs where I was wound out in 2nd gear LO range, while sawing the wheel back & forth.......and have NEVER let me down one single time after everything I've dished out to them.

My factory original CV's recently lost their inner band clamps though, and spewed CV axle grease all over the place.....but were still operating fine. Because of their 140K mileage, I decided to just replace them both with an aftermarket brand that claimed was 100% brand new. They are offered through O Reilly Auto Parts for $59.99 as their best replacement option:

Cardone Select

It wasn't until I replaced the 140K mile factory originals, with the Cardone Select CV's, that I began snapping them like they were twigs on measly obstacles. Here's one that I broke last weekend while climbing a hill. I did not even hear or feel it break. The drivers side tire merely stopped pulling:

BrokeCardoneSelectCVAxle1.jpg

BrokeCardoneSelectCVAxle2.jpg

BrokeCardoneSelectCVAxle3.jpg

I find it very hard to spend $800 on brand new factory original CV axles. But if everything that the parts stores have to offer, just cannot meet the originals in terms of performance.....I may have no other choice. I guess it's better than paying $900 APIECE for custom chrome-moly units. ugh.gif

Thoughts?

Apparently Cardone isnt using the proper grade of hardened steel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users