Rough County Control Arm Ball Joint Spacer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Grisman

Grisman
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

I called Rough Country today and ordered just the upper control arms from their 2.5" lift kit. I had read previous posts about the spacers used on the ball studs so the nut will fit correctly. I asked about them and the guy seemed to know what I was talking about but said they weren't required. The last post I could find on this site about them being needed was from a year ago. Does anybody know if they have made a change recently and the spacers are no longer needed or should I call them back and ask again? This truck is my daily driver so I need to make sure I have all parts on hand before job is started. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Grisman, 04 April 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#2 jderekt

jderekt
  • Elite Subscribed Member
  • 2,852 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, reloading, wheeling, camping, fishing

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:56 AM

Unless they have changed the ball joint they use, you WILL need them. The studs are just a little too long for the S10 knuckle.

Sent via Google Deplorable tracking services.

#3 Private_Ops

Private_Ops
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

Isn't it a fullsize ball joint? I swear I read somewhere the balljoint is meant for a 1500.

#4 Grisman

Grisman
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Thanks jderekt. I will call them back and make sure I get them. Guess I better ask if bumpstops are included too since I don't believe they are already installed on arms.

Private_Ops, it's my understanding that's why the spacers are needed because the S10 knuckle isn't as thick as the fullsize.

#5 jderekt

jderekt
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Isn't it a fullsize ball joint? I swear I read somewhere the balljoint is meant for a 1500.

It is. They use this joint: Moog K6540

#6 jderekt

jderekt
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Thanks jderekt. I will call them back and make sure I get them. Guess I better ask if bumpstops are included too since I don't believe they are already installed on arms.

Private_Ops, it's my understanding that's why the spacers are needed because the S10 knuckle isn't as thick as the fullsize.

You might consider this bump stop, http://a.co/ioCNNV4

The ones they come with really allow the A arm to drop a lot. Puts a ton of stress on the CV, These are a good balance between stock and the RC ones.

#7 Grisman

Grisman
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'm assuming those bump stops are sold in pairs. Clicked on link and said only 1 left.

#8 jderekt

jderekt
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Yes, it's one pair.

Sent via Google Deplorable tracking services.

#9 03SONOMAZR2

03SONOMAZR2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

If you don't mind me asking. What do just the control arms cost. That is all I'm really looking for

#10 Grisman

Grisman
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:58 AM

If you don't mind me asking. What do just the control arms cost. That is all I'm really looking for

$263.90. 249.95 + 13.95 shipping to central Illinois. They do not include bump stops which would be another $11 shipped if using ones in kit.

Edited by Grisman, 06 April 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#11 Private_Ops

Private_Ops
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

Was diggin through RockAuto. They make adjustable ball joints for the full sizes (like 3 degree's more adjustment). Not sure if they'd be any use for us though.

Edited by Private_Ops, 13 April 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#12 jderekt

jderekt
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

I've not had any issues with alignment using the RC arms. I've actually got the entire kit in my rig. No issues except a slight wheel rub on the arms at full lock.
But always good to know there are options.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#13 Private_Ops

Private_Ops
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

I've not had any issues with alignment using the RC arms. I've actually got the entire kit in my rig. No issues except a slight wheel rub on the arms at full lock.

Did you get a full 2 inches? Did you do the one ton steering? Any issues with CVs?

#14 jderekt

jderekt
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Did you get a full 2 inches? Did you do the one ton steering? Any issues with CVs?

No, 1.5" is the max with the Z's. I'm not running mine maxed, I set it at ~1". The kit worked great for me to compensate for sagging rear springs & torsion bars, a better upper control arms and bj's, and better articulation.
CV's have been fine, using those bump stops I recommended have helped with full droop stress.
Yes, I do have the one-ton idler, simply the best steering upgrade you can do. Been in for near four years, only a minor amount of slack in it even now. Alignment has held really well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users