What do you tow with your Z

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#281 2HIGHBlaZr2

2HIGHBlaZr2
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

I did this almost exactly when i moved from michigan to california. Largest u-haul available, packed to the top. Went middle of september, so it was hot. Overheated twice on hills, and had to stop when it started burping coolant. I had a couple points where I got some sway that amplified fast. Bottom line - not the safest load. Probably had ~6k or so of tow weight as much of it was tools, shop equipment and ammunition. Trailer brakes worked well, so no troubles stopping. Went 55 the whole way.

What were the specs on the towing vehicle,

do you recall how long the trip took at 55mph, straight through or hotel stops

how did you react to correct the sway you encountered/any advice on how to avoid it

off topic- was the cost of living difference between the 2 really matter as you should in a sense be paid in a similar income ratio?

#282 superkevin711

superkevin711
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

Basically a stock s-10 zr2 with a stout rebuilt trans and large trans cooler. 280k miles on truck, 150k on motor. No radio, no A/C.

Took just over 40 hours. No hotel stops, drove straight thru. Just took turns with the Mrs. the whole way. I only had a few days before I had to start the new job.

I'm no expert- but what seemed to be the key to avoiding sway was just going slow. When it did happen, I would just hold the wheel straight with and eagle claw grip and slowly ease into the brakes and it would settle right out. The hydraulic trailer brakes on the uhaul were fickle, they worked but not until you really got on the truck brakes first.

Taxes are more in commiefornia, but im making more, so its not too bad. I doubt that's the case for everyone. I landed a pretty decent job after making shit my whole life. I live in the desert where there is a lower-than-average cost of living compared to the rest of the state, but it is about the same as it was in Michigan.

#283 rabbit

rabbit
  • Sponsored Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Off road , fabrication ,camping ,hunting

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

I tow a 28 foot camp trailer around 6200-7000 lbs
331E4F0B-2981-40A7-A8C7-12364EE47F45-126
162D1094-F77C-4B7F-B356-DAE54DD0B369-841
71F742DF-0257-4FAF-8D08-115A1F8B3582-431

#284 Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Chevelles, Beach volleyball, off-roading

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Nice!!  Wow, that's a big camper.  You have a V8 swap?

#285 rabbit

rabbit
  • Sponsored Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

Yes I have a l31 but I towed it with the 4.3 for around 1 year , with the 4.3 I just took the 37s of and swaped them for 33s and it towed great (4.56 gears ) but with the l31 it tows great on the 37s . The last pic was even out on the sand dunes had no problem getting out there in the soft sand

Edited by rabbit, 08 February 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#286 jwwaldschmidt

jwwaldschmidt

Chief smoke-a-motor

• Administrators
  • 19,212 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

Part of me says you're crazy, but at least you have a W/D hitch and it appears everything is level. My only concern would be insurance denying your claim in the event of an accident, due to towing beyond the rated capacities of the tow vehicle... but hey, if it works, carry on.

#287 rabbit

rabbit
  • Sponsored Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

I was a little worry about how it would handle at first but , wheel base is as long as a suburban and it pretty heavy with all my mods , big 4 wheel disk help with stopping and to be honsit the truck handles it very we'll never feels like the trailers pushing the truck around or sway problems ( towed better then my old z71 extra cab short bed really ) and suprizingly I can pull long grades with ac on with the v8 with no over heating problems

#288 rapsure

rapsure
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

I towed a 1986 Nomad M-2440 24.5 foot trailer with my 2001 ZR2 Blazer. It did a lot better than I thought by keeping in third gear and the torque converted locked down the freeway. I have a weight distributing hitch and a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and the trailer felt under control. I drove down the freeway at 65mph with power to go faster. Then driving over the mountain with about 6% grade I still did 55mph.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users