Hello from Metalshop Motorsports

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

Hi everyone, It has been a while. I have been very busy developing a SAS leaf spring kit for our trucks as well as starting a business and working on my college degree. Well I am proud to say that Metalshop Motorsports is off and running!!! We are a full custom fabrication shop located in Colorado Springs. Please keep an eye on our website www.metalshopmotorsports.com for new and up coming products.

Here is our basic IFS eliminator kit. It come complete with a front spring crossmember (31.5" on center), under engine frame brace, frame hanger plates, hangers, shackles, axle shock tabs, spring perches, top plates, and U-bolts. This kit sells for $675.

We also sell shock hoops with shock tabs for an additional $40.

High clearance transmission crossmember for $200.

We sell these kits in many different forms, from basic to complete including brake lines. Please contact us for more details.

#2 ducksface

ducksface
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

Work us up a deal on some custom rear springs....

Start with Blazers please.

#3 VictoryRedZR2

VictoryRedZR2

Has too many ZR2's

• Elite Subscribed Member
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Welcome from Connecticut! drinkbuds.gif

Great fabrication work! thumup.gif

#4 Blazeallday311

Blazeallday311
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Wheelin, Ridin, any way I can get it.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'd love to come check out one of these installed, I could ride down to the springs any day this week. Awesome.

#5 cknaffle

cknaffle

grumpy old man

• Administrators
  • 18,852 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (ducksface @ Apr 19 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alcan

#6 cknaffle

cknaffle

grumpy old man

• Administrators
  • 18,852 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Looks like a pretty good kit you put together. Smart decision to use mostly Ruff Stuff parts. You can't beat his pricing.

Edited by cknaffle, 19 April 2010 - 11:38 AM.

#7 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (ducksface @ Apr 18 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Start saving and get a set of Alcans made. You will not be disappointed!!

#8 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (cknaffle @ Apr 19 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a pretty good kit you put together. Smart decision to use mostly Ruff Stuff parts. You can't beat his pricing.

Yes I cant build the spring perches and stuff for what he sells them for!! I have used his stuff for quite some time now.

#9 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Blazeallday311 @ Apr 19 2010, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love to come check out one of these installed, I could ride down to the springs any day this week. Awesome.

Anytime!!! Just give me a call first and we can hook up.

#10 rcab87

rcab87
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Will this work on non-Zs also? And could you give some specifics about the kit, like what springs and steering it is designed for?

#11 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (rcab87 @ Apr 28 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will this work on non-Zs also? And could you give some specifics about the kit, like what springs and steering it is designed for?

Yes it will work on a non z s10 as long as it is a 4wd. For the front springs we use a BDS 2" lift YJ leaf spring. The flex well and ride great plus BDS has a lifetime warranty on their springs. For the steering we use a 2" drop pitman arm from a jeep and reem it out for one ton tie rod ends. you will need a hi steer knuckle on the pass side and a 1" spacer. Here is a picture of how we set it up.

Hope this helps.

#12 cknaffle

cknaffle

grumpy old man

• Administrators
  • 18,852 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

BDS-004200, right? If so, that's a big mistake using those leafs for anything but an extremely light rig with small tires.

#13 ZR2nit

ZR2nit

Typing...and still waiting.

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,984 posts
  • Interests:family,friends,off-roading,hunting, my Zr2

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Wow another SAS kit! I really am shocked. Its nice to see that people are doing this after so many years of bitching about the lack of one in the aftermarket. Okay so I'll be the first one to ask this question b/c I'm sure its coming sooner or later. How much of your kit is "bolt-on" after you cut the front IFS stuff off? Do you have a spring over axle kit for the rear to?

Edited by ZR2nit, 28 April 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#14 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (ZR2nit @ Apr 28 2010, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow another SAS kit! I really am shocked. Its nice to see that people are doing this after so many years of bitching about the lack of one in the aftermarket. Okay so I'll be the first one to ask this question b/c I'm sure its coming sooner or later. How much of your kit is "bolt-on" after you cut the front IFS stuff off? Do you have a spring over axle kit for the rear to?

Nothing in the SAS kit is "bolt on" its all weld on. the crossmember, under engine frame brace, hanger frame plates, and hangers are all weld on. And yes I do carry a spring over kit for the rear.

#15 TrailTamer

TrailTamer

What?!? I can't hear you!

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

very nice

any chance you have a shot of the SFA Z? in the pics it looks like its a sweet truck but no whole truck pic!

#16 ZR2nit

ZR2nit

Typing...and still waiting.

• Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 1,984 posts
  • Interests:family,friends,off-roading,hunting, my Zr2

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (sjdiesel @ Apr 30 2010, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ZR2nit @ Apr 28 2010, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing in the SAS kit is "bolt on" its all weld on. the crossmember, under engine frame brace, hanger frame plates, and hangers are all weld on. And yes I do carry a spring over kit for the rear.

Yeah I figured just wanted to check that's all

#17 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (cknaffle @ Apr 28 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BDS-004200, right? If so, that's a big mistake using those leafs for anything but an extremely light rig with small tires.

Why??? They work good for us and the price and warranty is great too. The weight of the front of our S-10's and the weight of the front of a YJ are almost identical. If our customers dont like them than we recommend the rubicon express YJ 2'' leafs. Both work great for us though. I guess you had a bad experience....

#18 cknaffle

cknaffle

grumpy old man

• Administrators
  • 18,852 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (sjdiesel @ Apr 30 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cknaffle @ Apr 28 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why??? They work good for us and the price and warranty is great too. The weight of the front of our S-10's and the weight of the front of a YJ are almost identical. If our customers dont like them than we recommend the rubicon express YJ 2'' leafs. Both work great for us though. I guess you had a bad experience....

I, too, was drawn in by the cheap price of those springs. Ended up being VERY expensive in the long run.

YJ / TJ spring do not have enough spring rate for these truck to survive anything but low speed crawling. Notice in Diversified's thread that he originally tried to use TJ springs on Rog's Z, but ended up swapping them out for F150 (IIRC) spring, becaause the TJ springs were lacking in spring rate.

I had more than "a" bad experience.....

First run out, front driveshaft destroyed from excessive axle wrap backing up a hill. Took out the axle end, and busted the CV head. That was a $500 mistake.

Second run out (sand dunes), the front end exhibited EXCESSIVE axle wrap climbing forward up hills. The shaft was hitting itself and destroying itself, but because my radiator exploded after 10 minutes, the dshaft survived.

After that, I build the anti-wrap bar to control the axle wrap. Then, spring rate became the obvious problem.

After my trial run to Badlands, the springs were destroyed - extreme negative arch, sheared center pins, etc.. Got set #1 replaced under warranty.

After Harlan two years ago, I saw the same problem. Got set #2 replaced under warranty. Moved my bump stops down a little to limit uptravel more.

At Silver Lake last year, I completely destroyed (and broke) a set of springs. Got set #3 replaced under warranty.

Set #1 I bought a full lenth "1 ton rated" add a leaf and inserted it. After Rausch Creek, they again, were destroy. Set #4 goes in the trash and its 4 link time.

Beyond my truck, this is the other truck I built. He insister on using the same spring "because they were cheap" and should work fine on a truck much lighter than mine. No aftermarket bumper, winch, or anything that adds weight to the truck.

The truck is terribly soft on the street. He's almost scared to drive it, and wont' go over 55 MPH. If he had to make an evasive maneuver with a quick turn / hard brake, he's be on his roof. He's since sourced some extra leafs to add to the pack, but they are not on yet.

Note the severe negative arch with only the weight of the truck on it. If he hits a bump with some motion, these springs are gone.

Learn from my mistakes. Don't offer those springs with your kit. 44044 are the best springs out there for these trucks. They have more spring rate, are longer, flex better, and resist axle wrap better. If I would have known that 4 years ago when I started on my truck, I could have saved myself thousands of dollars and countless hours of time.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm just trying to save you a major headache.

#19 sjdiesel

sjdiesel
  • Subscribed ZR2 Owner
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info chris. I know you are not being a dick, just looking out.

Most of my customers want to run their own leaf springs anyways. If they are on a budget I recommend the BDS YJ leafs because they will work fine when running 37's and under. With that being said my number one leaf spring recommendation is Alcan. They are hands down the BEST!!!

As for the 44044's, they are too big. They have too much arch and make the truck sit too tall. We like our truck to sit as low as possible and the 44044's arnt cutting it.

Also Chris what is the length of your spring perches?? I see that you run the caster wedges welded on the factory casting. This short perch will cause MAJOR axle wrap and destroy the leafs. The number one axles we recommend are the waggy Dana 44 or the HP Dana 44 with the weld on wedges. This way we can run an 8" long spring perch which cancels ALOT of the axle wrap and saves the springs.

I want to work with Alcan and offer their springs as well because I have had such good luck with them and I'm not nice on my truck. Hopefully I will be able to offer Alcans with our kit soon.

#20 mjmurphy73

mjmurphy73
  • ZR2 Owner
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

How much lift does this kit give the Zs? Also, what do you guys do with the rear suspension? spring over axle? sorry if I missed this some where.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users