blazer2-816

Seat bolt stuck!

17 posts in this topic

So I am trying to swap a set of seats out of a 03 blazer into my 02 blazer and the drivers torx bolt is stuck on both of them. Is there a way to get the drivers seat off of the tracks without taking the tracks out? Or does anyone have any tricks for getting it out? All of the other nuts and bolt have came off fine. This t-50 bolt is the only thing holding me up.

Edited by blazer2-816

I had the same problem and believe it is a common issue.

I used a hammer and chisel on the torx head. I used the chisel to cut a slot into the side of the head. I then inserted the end of the chisel in the slot and hammered in the direction I wanted the bolt to turn.

You could also use a drill to take off the bolt heads. Drill the remainder of the bolt out in the vehicle you are installing the seats in and tap the threads for a new bolt.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by Doak

I welded a nut to the bolt and just used a socket and breaker bar to get it out. They are a real pain in the ass.

Yeah I tried to chisel it off but it just dulled my chisel so I am going to get a new one and try again. If I can't get it then I'm down to welding or drilling. I am going to try again on it tomorrow and hopefully it will go better

Yeah I tried to chisel it off but it just dulled my chisel so I am going to get a new one and try again. If I can't get it then I'm down to welding or drilling. I am going to try again on it tomorrow and hopefully it will go better

I have heated some from the bottom side and was able to unthread them that way.

I know this is an old thread...but im having trouble with the T50 bolt now....wondering if any new ideas...?    Did they use some kind of super duper loc-tight on that.....lol

definitely use a torch from the backside.

GM used threadlocker which releases with heat.

15 hours ago, greencactus3 said:

definitely use a torch from the backside.

GM used threadlocker which releases with heat.

Thanks...i tried that..got the bolt hot enough to smoke the carpet..and had a cheater pipe on the ratchet...broke another snap on T50...    My try welding a bolt to it..?

I said it before and I'll say it again... welding a nut on the head of the bolt is the best option. The threads on the bolt were toast after I got it out so I replaced everything with large washers and nuts and bolts.

I'd probably just weld a bolt on as well.

Well.....there was enough of the bolt sticking thu the bottom that i could double nut it and use my big breaker bar..On the passenger side had to bend the exhaust heat shield back a little bit to get to it...   But its crazy..GM  really....didnt want those bolts to ever come out....lol

Still looking for replacements....and will pay xtra for some that are already out.....lol

On 6/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, SLSZR2 said:

Thanks...i tried that..got the bolt hot enough to smoke the carpet..and had a cheater pipe on the ratchet...broke another snap on T50...    My try welding a bolt to it..?

dont heat the bolt, heat the female threads. you want the female to expand to loosen, not the bolt to expand and tighten.

smoking the carpet really means nothing. douse the carpet in water first so you dont set it on fire. 

1 hour ago, greencactus3 said:

dont heat the bolt, heat the female threads. you want the female to expand to loosen, not the bolt to expand and tighten.

smoking the carpet really means nothing. douse the carpet in water first so you dont set it on fire. 

Got it now...but thx..that makes sense...

Glad you got it. Those things can be a bear to get out.

I had to drill/grind off the head on my truck then use a breaker bar with a bolt extractor from the bottom side to unthread the bolt from the bottom. Was a major PITA and I used plenty of anti-seize on the new bolts.