Benielsahn

Replacing your oil pan/gasket?

did this help you?   12 members have voted

1. 1. Did this write up help you?

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 posts in this topic

Oct 15th: hello i have a 2000 s10 Z that needs a new oil pan

can someone give me a step by step of how to do this

please and thanks

Oct 19th: UPDATE!!!

thanks to everyones help we got the oil pan out

we also had to replace the front cover so we did some extra stuff

Heres some pictures

1st!!!!! drain the oil and coolant

jack her up and put her on jack stands and take off the tires

post-8157-1224455515_thumb.jpg

for how we did it your gonna need a shop crane, a foldable one is nicepost-8157-1224454527_thumb.jpg

then we took out the fan shroud, fan clutch, fan, belt, water pump and the pulley and every ting else in the way and attached a chain for hoistingpost-8157-1224454684_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224454733_thumb.jpg

seriously consider investing in a harmonic balancer puller it will save your sanity

post-8157-1224454871_thumb.jpg

remove all the skids plates and unbolt the front drive shaft and the exhaust

post-8157-1224454974_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224455192_thumb.jpg

get a front end service kit the take out the steering linkage bolts and the tie rod then turn the steering wheel all the way to the right

post-8157-1224455320_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224455252_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224455408_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224455437_thumb.jpg

unbolt the shocks and move them out the of the waypost-8157-1224455584_thumb.jpg

then attach your crane and lift till tension and unbolt your 2 motor mounts you can get to them from the wheel wells.

(no pic sorry)

then hoist it up as far as you think it can go without hitting anything

(again no pic for this step)

unbolt your 2 diff mounts and wiggle it out of them and push it as far forward as you can.

post-8157-1224455783_thumb.jpg

then take out the oil filter lines and the oil filter attachment thingy up in the block, dont forget the gaskets and the oring up in there

post-8157-1224455865_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224456574_thumb.jpg

then start unbolting the pan bolts.

pull out the two black rubber things near the back of the pan

there are two nuts way up in there you have to take out also.

after all bolts are out give her a good whack and she'll come loose.

then wiggle and shimmy it out of their but not too hard dont screw up the oil pick up screen and it should come out. post-8157-1224456076_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224456112_thumb.jpgpost-8157-1224456196_thumb.jpg

and there you go!

one of these if helpful also

post-8157-1224456242_thumb.jpg

be sure and keep track of all your parts and nuts and boltspost-8157-1224456281_thumb.jpg

your gonna want to do this in a building too its a good 13-15 hours minumumpost-8157-1224456350_thumb.jpg

as for putting it back in

haha

we havent gotten that far

we still waiting on the oil pan to get here

if you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me!

Edited by chevywheeler

best person to ask is compozr2, I believe, not mistaking he took his out one time. :)

He will tell you when the oil pan will not come out!

ok thanks hopefully he will get around to reading this

i dont have any step by steps available to send out on the comp.

umm, you gotta take out the entire front suspension. front diff. and all. there are write-ups for just about all of that stuff I believe. Once its all out, there you will see all the bolts you need to pull. there are 2 black 'plugs' on the back side of the pan that you will need to pull out. I used a pair of vice grips, grabbed on and gave them a spin and a tug. there is one nut on each side up there a ways, you will need atleast a 12" extension. I believe all of the nuts and bolts to get that pan off are 13mm. there are also two, umm, maybe 3 bolts from the tranny forward to the pan. those may be 15mm though. you will need to remove the oil filter relocator from the back d. side of the pan. Once all that is out, it should pretty much come on down. I had to do some twistin n/ turnin to get it down. it was gettin cought up on the pick up screen.

uhh, thats all i can think of. your other option is to pull the motor. and do it that way.

feel free to ask anything else.

will raising the engine change anything?

lol, told ya chevy wheeler.

CompoZr2, you should really make that a sticky because what I just read seem very help for people who are in need of taking out of an oil pan. Too bad you didn't have picture when you were doing yours.

BTW, how that valcover gasket doing? Still leaking?

yeah you were right on that one VictoryRedZr2

but we just went out and spent $130 bucks on a shop crane for this job hopefully it will make it so i don't have to pull the whole front suspension i hope

when i do, do this whole job I'll definitely snap some pics and do a write up

Edited by chevywheeler

sure that would be great!

BTW, what is wrong with your oil pan, cracked?

ya know im not really sure!

i'm got a hunch its the oil pan gasket but i also think there may be a hair line crack near the top so i ordered a new pan and gasket up and gonna put em on anyways to cover my bases. also gonna replace the front timing cover while i'm at it

someone before me had it off and the idiot first of all reused the thing and used household caulking to try to seal it up!

Edited by chevywheeler

I hate buying a truck from somebody and fixing their mistakes. For example on my part. I brought the truck and he screw up the front end (badly out of line) and screw up some of the 4x4 hosing.

Yes, that is a very good idea to do things on the motor since you have it out.

Might want to consider doing the intake manifold gasket as well?

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbup:

alrighty thanks for the referral to compozr2

once i do this job i'll put up a how to with some pics

also i may just pull the whole engine and get an overhaul kit for it

i also think i need to replace my rear main seal

:thumbup:

thanks there adam but in step 3 its kind of vague saying "remove the front differential assembly"

i wonder what that includes

Front diff ass. means everything. The assy is considered the pig itself, but everything else has to come out for the pig to come out. You can pull the motor if you'd like. but you cant raise it up enough to clear the pan from the front diff. Therefore you have to detatch from the tranny. if your goin that far, just pull the motor and do an overhual as you stated. Be sure to get some RTV for the corners of the gaskets! I had some pics, just not any that are gonna help with a how-to process. here is my post

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=30207

Edited by compozr2

I have the exact version of directions abright has. just in paper form so that does you no good. glad someone had access to them. follow those step by step and you'll do just fine. ask if you have any questions.

when you raise the engine can you unbolt the front diff and move it out of the way enough without having to "remove anything" ?

whats chat

Well we got her guys. i'll post how we did it and some pictures in a minute.

well here it is tell me what you think

very informative, i didnt realize you had to do all of that just to remove the oil pan, hope i never have to do it, but you did a good job explaining

I'm a bit concerned that mine might be cracked as well....

I've had an oil leak for about 4 years now. Recently it's gotten worse. I spent some time cleaning up all the oil on the pan to track down where it comes from. So, I drove the truck around to get it heated up for about 15 minutes. I got back home and crawled underneath the truck to inspect it.

It looks like the front cover is leaking, The rear main seal, And it also looks like oil is leaking from where the bolts hold the oil pan to the block. The oil does leak inbetween the pan and engine block.

Unfortunatley I don't have a garage and I can't work on my truck where I live, So it's got to go into the shop...

yeah snow man mine was doing that same exact thing. but if you look behind that inspection plate you should be able to tell if its a rear main seal leak

but what i think is when you pull those two black plugs out, the bolt way up in there on the back, they can get loose and not seal and look like a rms leak

I have a manual transmission so it actually looks like it's leaking where the transmission meets the engine. Could oil actually leak inbetween the two?

im not sure really